TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My Hemi port does not work, I have a Panasonic Plasma TV…

Customer Question
My Hemi port does...

My Hemi port does not work

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

I have a Panasonic Plasma TV model #TH-42PZ80U. The Hemi port does not work. Can it be replaced?

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Since I purchased it several years ago. I hooked it up to regular cable. I don't know how to use troubleshooting.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

No. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do. Thanks

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: TV
11/12/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 5 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Do you have this issue with both hdmi1 and hdmi2? Does it happen on cable as well as other devices like dvd, roku, etc?

It does not happen on cable, but not on both hemi ports.

Thank you

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty main/control board

This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2007 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is at double its service life at this point and plasma technology is long obsolete.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $500 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the same $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Nathan, Installer