TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My tv is on a antenna. As of last night I could not get a…

Customer Question
My tv is on...

My tv is on a antenna. As of last night I could not get a signal on any station. I rehooked my antennas over and over today is no different.

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

E320-b2

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Started last night

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: TV
11/12/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 8 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Have you tried the antenna on another TV to make sure the antenna is not the issue?

If so, then you want to try to reboot the TV as follows:

1) Disconnect the antenna and then unplug the TV's power cord.

2) Press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 10 seconds and release.

3) Reconnect the antenna and turn the TV on then check for channels.

If it still gets no channels, then what we need to do is reset the TV to factory defaults and then run a fresh setup of the TV's channels.

I am pulling up instructions for that as well.

To restore the TV to its factory default settings:
1. Press the MENU button on the remote. The on-screen menu is
displayed.
2. Use the Arrow buttons on the remote to highlight System
and press OK. The SYSTEM menu is displayed.
3. Highlight Reset & Admin and press OK. The RESET & ADMIN
menu is displayed.
4. Highlight Reset TV to Factory Defaults and press OK.
5. Enter your parental control passcode. If you have not yet set
up a parental passcode, enter the default, 0000.
The TV displays, “Select Reset to restore all TV settings to
factory defaults.”.
6. Highlight Reset and press OK.
7. Wait for the TV to turn off. The TV will turn back on shortly
afterward and the Setup App will begin.

Once the setup wizard starts, select ANTENNA and then RUN CHANNEL SCAN. Let me know what happens.

Were you able to try those steps? Are you still having the same problem?

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

IT DID NOT HELP !
NO SIGNAL -NO PICTURE-NO SOUND DVD'S PLAY PERFECT !!!
TV Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 8 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi - I'm Russell H., Expert here at JustAnswer.

I suspect that your antenna is quite simply out of order, or broken.

Examine the cable to the antenna, and the end of the cable, for any signs of being broken, or dirty at the cable end.

Examine the antenna itself... how old is it?

If you can replace the antenna, I advise doing so.

(Of course, you should make sure the TV's SOURCE, or SIGNAL SOURCE, or INPUT or INPUT SOURCE, is set to 'Antenna' - but the previous Expert mentioned that so I assume that has already been done. If it hasn't been done, use the TV's MENU as operated by the remote control, to check, and if needed, change, that setting - to ANTENNA, of course.)

After that, replacing the antenna may well solve the problem. It's cheaper than any other step that can be taken after the previous steps and is my advice for the most likely thing - if not quite certain - to fix the problem.

Sorry but as I said I tried over and over again re hooking an hooking up antennas no change at all !

So, no result no matter what antenna was used? That's a shame.

I did not know that you had more than one antenna to try.

I am sorry my suggestion was wrong... the TV may be 'broken' unfortunately, from what I can tell from here. I have Opted Out, in case another Expert here might be able to offer additional suggestions or help.

TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Installer

I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

I understand you've already done multiple scans with more than 1 antenna, with no results.

What that means is that this is an internal hardware failure, specifically that the tvs internal tuner is defective.

This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2013 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best.

There is one further step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this brand/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the $200 range.

As an alternative to repair/replacement, you could supplement the tvs failed internal tuner by connecting an external tuner box instead, for about $30: http://amzn.to/2zRipcO

This actually gives some added benefit as well, because that tuner box has the ability to act as a DVR and record to a usb stick or external hard drive.

I can also help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,