TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have antenna. It says "no signal" for every channel.

I have antenna. It...

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

E421VO. Three or 4 years

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Menu works. HDM-1 works.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Just today. It was there when I turned it on

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

I checked the connections, and they are good.

11/12/2017
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Is this the first time setting up the antenna on this TV? What other setup steps have you taken as far as getting this connected?

I've had it for several years, use it every day
Nathan, Installer

As an initial step, please go into the vizio menu under channels then run the channel scan/search function to see if it is able to pick up anything via the antenna there.

I did that. It found zero channels

Thank you for checking,

unfortunately that means that there is a hardware problem here, specifically a failure of the tvs internal tuner circuitry.

This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2011 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this brand/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the same $300 range.

An alternative to repair/replacement would be to connect an external tuner box to the tv instead, such as http://amzn.to/2ytKhiM

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Nathan, Installer