TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Picture is breaking up - I bought a new house, the tv was…

Customer Question
Picture is breaking up...

Picture is breaking up - I bought a new house, the tv was already in the house - it gets HDMI (I think)

Technician's Assistant: What's the exact make and model of your television? And have you done any troubleshooting yourself?

LCD TV (does that mean it is HDMI?) Model NS-32D120A13

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

I don't have any trouble watching through Roku. I have only tried TV and Roku. The TV was working OK but only one channel. I figured out how to get other channels (just a few - it isn't cable) but all of them break-up.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

I may have pulled something loose as I was trying to see if there was a HMDI cable connection which i don't think there is.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

I am a real live and true Ludite. I do not know the terminology nor how any of this stuff works. Unfortunately.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: TV
11/12/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 9 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

What exactly do you have connected to the TV that you're receiving channels from (example: antenna, satellite box, cable box etc.)?

external antenna but i do not know how it is connected
i thought this was a $5 action and if I am satisfied then I pay, if not, then please tell me because I will not go forward

Thanks. Whenever the picture breaks up using an external antenna, it's the antenna itself causing it. If the TV were the issue then it would also break-up when using the Roku, and breakup is a sign of weak signal strength at the antenna. So either a signal booster (somewhat effective) would need to be inserted between the antenna and the TV, or a new "powered" antenna like a Terk or Winegard would be needed.

I have nothing to do with- nor can I SEE any billing amount. Note that any offers for subscriptions or promotions are NOT something I am privy to. I am an independent tech and am only paid with a positive rating for my service. If you understand, please simply say "I Understand" on this page, and we can continue with your Tech issue.

I guess that sounds reasonable

Thanks for the reply. I've also seen it first hand in my own setup where channel signal was weak and the picture would pixelate and freeze up as well sometimes. Using a better quality antenna cleared up those channels and allowed more to be received. I can send you some suggestions for better external antennas if you'd like?

Somebody just charged my card $23. which I did NOT, repeat NOT, authorize. I authorized $5. so what do I need to do to get rid of the charge?

You can use the site help pages for that, I'm just an independent tech, .