TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have 2 Vizio Tvs that the remotes do not work. I changed…

Customer Question
I have 2 Vizio...

I have 2 Vizio Tvs that the remotes do not work. I changed batteries and even purchased a new remote for one but to no avail the tv works but the remote does not.

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

Model# = M49-C1 purchased in 2015

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

The on/off button and the volume buttons on the back of the TV work only

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

This issue started 2 months ago and just before this the remote became less sensitive as I had to get close to the TV for it to work. Now not working at all.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/11/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Are both tvs the same model?

No TV#1 is M49-C1 and TV#2 is D40-D1
awaiting your reply

My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed so I'm only just now getting both of your messages.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty ir sensor board or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2015 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These vizios are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best and this type of problem is very common with them.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

While the parts are relatively inexpensive, around $25 for the sensor and around $100 for the main board, depending which is needed, the cost of labor if not doing the work yourself quickly adds up.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $200-300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

Either way, though it may be a simple part, the repairs are often simply not practical as you won't extend the life of the tv any appreciable amount, it is only a matter of time before other parts fail and continue to need more repair and investment.

For a tv of this brand/age however, replacement will usually make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.