TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Have a M3D550KD vizio. black and color only. Does not matter…

Customer Question
Have a M3D550KD vizio...

Have a M3D550KD vizio. black and white color only

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Vizio is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Does not matter if its the dvd or cable connection

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Less than 2 yrs old

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Yes menu works it just had this symptom on power up this summer. we are not here all the time, seasonal home

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

Also changed hdmi cables

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/11/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 8 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Just to make sure there's not a cabling/connectivity issue here- have you tried using more than one set of RCA cables for both the cable box and DVD to the Vizio?

Also, if you use the original Vizio remote and press MENU, does the menu appear in black and white as well?

it is also black and white

Thank you. If the MENU is also in black and white then this does indicate a processor failure of the Vizio (which is not uncommon in these sets). The MENU supersedes all settings/connections so should always appear normally and in color.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally (in color). Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Are you able to try those steps please?

powering up. Now

Okay, fingers crossed.

Is it in color, or black and white?

Tried this procedure twice...still no color

I'm sorry to hear that, please allow me a few minutes to type the answer.

Unfortunately this indicates the set's Mainboard has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $150 (but is currently showing as out of stock):

http://www.shopjimmy.com/vizo-cbpftxccb02k0010008-main-board-for-m3d550kde.htm

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $300-$350 parts and labor, which may or may not be cost effective as a brand new 55" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.
Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?