TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Vizio Model P502iuB1E Serial LTY6RKBQ3857005. When…

Customer Question
I have a Vizio...

I have a Vizio Model P502iuB1E Serial LTY6RKBQ3857005. When I put it on the power light comes on, but the screen is dead. After a few seconds the lights starts to fade away til it does not show anymore. The Logo never comes to the screen, Is like if it is not on ..

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

See the model number above. About 3 years old.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Nothing. The screen is dead but the power light for the TV comes and then fades away.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

This morning.-

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

That is the problem. Dead screen.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: TV
11/10/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2014 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this brand/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $400 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.