TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

When I turned on my tv this morning there is volume but not…

Customer Question
When I turned on...

When I turned on my tv this morning there is volume but not picture, the screen is black.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?

It is a Samsung Model #UNE4323FEH

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

I can't see anything so I can't tell if anything is wor*****, *****'t see a menu since the screen is black.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

When I turned it on this morning, it was black, no indicators as to anything.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: TV
11/10/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 9 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

How long have you owned the set for please? Also, if you use the original Samsung remote- can you pull up the MENU?

5 years, Because the screen is black I can't see the menu to know if it is up or not.
I have an appointment I must leave for so I can not return your call at the present time.

Thank you. Yes, that's what I was trying to find out. If the set's native MENU won't even display then this directly indicates a hardware fault in the set in most cases. That said, is the screen pitch black (no backlights as if it were off), or is there a slight dark blue glow to the screen?

Completely black.

This means the backlights have failed (more specifically the power supply/LED inverter board), and this generally requires repairs.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Were you able to try those steps? Are you still having the same problem?