TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My 2 1/2 year old has damaged (cracked) my plasma smart tv…

Customer Question
My 2 1/2 year...

My 2 1/2 year old has damaged (cracked) my plasma smart tv screen. can this be fixed?

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the plasma television's exact make and model?

Samsung 55 LED

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

TV menu works no problem just damaged screen

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

No other issues just little man was a tad heavy handed with a polo mallet

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
11/9/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 7 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Unfortunately whenever these screens are impacted, or any external pressure is put on them it generally causes the screen to fail (the plamsa panel has liquid in between two layers that produces the image). Anytime you see any defect in the screen after it's been hit- it does unfortunately indicate that the Plasma display panel is faulty and there aren't any fixes for this beyond replacing the entire screen of the TV (which costs 80% of what the TV cost when new, and requires dismantling and reassembly of the set to fix the issue). I'm sorry to have to tell you but the TV is not really repairable after there this occurs, aside from purchasing a used one of the exact same model on eBay and then disassembling it for it's screen.

The only other thing you can do to try and recoup some of the loss is to contact a site that purchases these sets with faulty/damaged screens and then sells the internal boards to TV repair shops.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were an economical fix. Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?