TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

The tv won't go on. When I hit the on button the light

Customer Question
The tv won't go...

The tv won't go on. When I hit the on button the green light lights up and makes a clicking noise, but the screen doesn't come on.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?

LG models: Du-30lz30, DU-37lz30, DU-42lz30. That's what it says on the cover of the manual. The tv is at least 10 years old.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

It doesn't go on at all.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Nothing happened, like a storm or anything. It started a couple of days ago. I had to hit the on button on the remote repeatedly to get it to come on.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: TV
11/9/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 8 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Offhand these symptoms occur when there is a hardware failure within the TV (which is not uncommon on a 10 year old set), and in most cases it requires repairs.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.