TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Vizio SV470XVT. I realized that the screen width is…

Customer Question
I have a Vizio...

I have a Vizio SV470XVT. I realized that the screen width is suddenly incorrect. When I go to the "wid" menu, either from the remote button or from the setup on screen menu, I only have options for either "wide" or "zoom". Any suggestions?

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Vizio is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

The model is: SV470XVT1A. I think I purchased it about April 2009.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Yes, the menu works in all other respects, as does the remote. I tried on two different HDMI inputs. I just switched to an AV input where I have Tivo and I can change to regular width there.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

We just suddenly noticed it last night. If it was there previously, we didn't notice it. It was suddenly in wide mode and things were being chopped off the two sides.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

No, everything else on the TV seems to be functioning just fine.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/7/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 9 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

First, reboot the Cable/SAT box by disconnecting it from power for 10 seconds and plugging it back in. Upon rebooting, if the screen aspect is still incorrect, then look for the following buttons on the Cable/SAT remote:

Aspect
Zoom
HD Zoom
Ratio
(#) symbol under the 9 key

Find any buttons with those labels and use them to attempt to correct the picture size. If you are unable to find those buttons, or they don't help, then the settings are hidden deeper in the Cable Box and I will need the BRAND and MODEL of the cable box.
If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Do you need further assistance with this?

The problem is present on three HDMI inputs, only one is from the cable box. The other two are a DVD player and Apple TV. How would the cable box affect the other two device inputs?

Well I didn't have this info until now- so I guess it wouldn't. What remote are you trying to use to change the P size- the Vizio?

I am using the Vizio remote. I also tried the control buttons on the side of the TV in case the issue was with the remote. The results were the same. Also, you will note that the width options other than wide and zoom are there for an AV input.

On the Vizio remote, locate the "P.Size" button and let me know if you can get any results using that.

pressing the P.Size button doesn't do anything.
TV Technician: Dan, Broadcast Engineer replied 9 months ago
Dan, Broadcast Engineer

Hello and thank you for your question. Please let me know if you still require assistance and I will reply back as soon as possible.

I haven't received a response that solves the problem or tells me it isn't solvable. To recap: I only have "wide" and "zoom" width options on all HDMI inputs, which are three different sources. I do have the additional width control options on two AV inputs, which are two different sources. Attempting to select other widths was also tried using the manual buttons on the set itself to be sure the issue wasn't just with the remote.
it does

Good. Press the menu button on your remote then the scroll down to setup

OK. If you want me to go to setup, then "wide" then the horizontal scroll, I have done that. The choices for any HDMI connected device are "zoom" and "wide". the other choices are missing.

What are you connecting to the HDMI ports?

No. If I select one of the AV input devices I have attached, those additional two options are there. Those used to be available for the HDMI connected devices but suddenly last night I noticed the picture was too wide. That is when I went to the setup menu and discovered that normal and panoramic modes were missing.
Dan, I have to run to an appointment so won't be able to respond for a couple hours.

If you are not connected to an HDMI port, you will need to use the horizontal and vertical adjustments from the on screen display mode to make your adjustments. Let me know when you are available.

I am back now. I only try to adjust the width when I have an input operating into any input port and that input is selected for display, HDMI or AV.

Do you have something you can connect to HDMI and try it?

The cable box, DVD player and Apple TV are all connected to three different HDMI ports. All I have to do is switch the input selector on the TV to pick one of them for the display.
I haven't heard back in a few hours now. Unless you can come up with a solution, I think we should give it up and just process a refund of my fee. Nothing has been suggested that weren't normal operations that I hadn't already tried.