TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have vertical lines on my plasma TV, samsung pn63C8000,

Customer Question
HI I have vertical...

HI I have vertical lines on my plasma TV

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

Samsung pn63C8000

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Bought 2/19/2011

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

A few weeks started with 1-2 lines and now there are a whole bunch

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

No thats all the info I think

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: TV
11/4/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 3 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty buffer board or plasma display panel, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2011 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is well past its service life at this point and plasma technology is long obsolete.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. This is assuming it is only a board issue. You could very easily end up spending that only to find the problem persists, and we are then down to a defective panel (screen) which is not possible to fix.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new 4k LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $800 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

thanks for a detailed answer Nathan. could it be something faulty like a tcon board connection instead of a panel issue

No not here, because plasma tvs don't have a tcon board. On an led tv yes that would be the cause.

Vertical lines are about a 50/50 shot of being a bad buffer board (of which there are several), or a panel defect. You would replace the buffers first and hope for the best and if no change then you are looking at a bad panel.

Do you need more help with this?

Nathan, Installer