TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

HDMI port doesn't work on my Hitachi 57F59A. That is the…

HDMI port doesn't work...

HDMI port doesn't work on my Hitachi 57F59A

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Hitachi is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

That is the exact model. And it looks like it was manufactured in 2006

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Everything else works.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

I call it a design flaw. the HDMI port is all the way on the bottom of the tv. The cables to the cable box ended up being too tight/taut so I think the port was damaged

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

No, that's it.

11/2/2017
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc). There is also a possibility of physical damage from the cable you mentioned.

This could also just be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2006 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is well over double its service life at this point and this technology is long obsolete.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new 4k LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $600 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Nathan, Installer
Ah, bugger. My background is computers, not TV's but I've done plenty of fixes and replacements so doing this doesn't worry me. The cost seems prohibitive, though. Because of the placement of the HDMI port on this TV, I was hoping it was a separate part that could be easily swapped out. I'll try your power off recommendations but I don't have high hopes for that. Do you know if the HDMI port is just a separate component?

It is not separate, it is part of the main board. It is highly unlikely you could find the part in the first place but even if you could I still would not consider it worthwhile as even fixing this issue is not going to extend the life of the tv any appreciable amount, it is only a matter of time before other parts start to fail too and need more and more investment.

Yep, got it. Thanks for your help! I just hated to ditch it for just the HDMI port but the picture doesn't seem to be as good with the red/blue/green cables (whatever they're called).

You're very welcome! Yes the component video won't be as good because that is analog and can't carry the same resolution (not full HD)

that's why you're the expert. Thanks for the help. You confirmed what I thought, even though it wasn't what I wanted. :)
You’re welcome glad I could help.