TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a Sharp LC-45D40U and my remote does not work. How

can I get into the...
I have a Sharp LC-45D40U and my remote does not work. How can I get into the menu on the TV? There is no Menu Button on this Model.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Sharp is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: About 6 years. Model LC-37D40U
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: I can't get into the Menu. I can get to Inputs using the Input Button, but I do not know how to get to the menu since there is no Menu Button and my remote does not work.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: For some reason, all my sports channels went to a small Picture and it was not that way before.
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's it. Thank you.
10/22/2017
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a cable box through Comcast and it is only on Sports Channels that are highlighted in Green in the cable guide. All the other channels are still the same.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My phone is dead. I have to charge it.

NOTE: Phone call or any other offer is automated and not sent by me. Feel free to ignore it if you prefer to troubleshoot the problem here in text chat.

Lets try easy thing first that might work..

- Have you tried to disconnect TV and cable box power cords from power outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in, let cable box reboot that may take several minutes and check?
If not yet, please try it now and reply back with the result

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That did not work.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would be easier to just go to Best Buy and see if I can buy another remote of a universal remote that can marry to the TV to get into the menu to change the screen options?

Sorry to hear that, this TV doesn't have menu button so only way to access to menu is the remote control.

As TV shows small picture on cable channels so it would be issue within cable box. Please find a button on cable remote labeled as Format or Zoom or Wide or HD Zoom etc, push it a few times to get different picture size options on small channel picture.

Universal remote does have limited control for the TV and we will work on Sharp remote to figure out why it is not working

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There is no button on this remote from the Cable Company.

Can you get me the number off of cable remote?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Xfinity XR2

OK, I'm out of ideas so will opt out to repost this question for other experts to assist you further

Thanks

littlerusty2005

Do you see the sports listings on the right side of the screen? I agree, it would be the cable box, I also have the XR2 remote. The C button is the sports button, and I use the EXIT button to exit the smaller screen after I hit C to get back to full screen. Let me know if this does the trick.

If your other channels are full screen, it's definitely not a TV menu issue, it's in your cable box.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I went to the main Menu on the cable box to try to program the "C" button but that is not an option. It only gives me Day+, Day-,
On Demand, Help, Replay, CC On/Off or 3D Mode. Nothing happens on the 3D Mode. Not sure where else to go or try. :)

Did you try the exit button? The C button is already programmed for sports, at least that's the way mine came from the factory. You'll know it's the C button if you see the small screen on the left, and the sports listings on the right.

Did that do the trick?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
not doing anything.

How small is the picture? Is it centered, or off to one side?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Centered and there is 6" of black on top and bottom

Ok, does the picture look distorted, other than the black bars?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. Just smaller.

Press the Xfinity button. Go all the way to the right, to the sprocket, that is settings, and press ok. Go to Device settings-->video display-->16:9 , underneath make sure ZOOM is set to FULL.

I have the same box, I just went through the settings with my remote.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My last sprocket is itv. There is no settings.

It's the one all the way to the right when you hit the XFINITY button. Just to the right of APPS.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My xfinity button goes to quick menu and my options are main menu, tv listing,find shows, parental control, favorites and itv

What is the model number of your cable box? It should be shown on the front of the unit. There is a zoom function for the box that is accessed in your settings. Every box has a settings menu, with the zoom setting. Do you have the box that records?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
DCH3200

Do you still have the old gray remote? That remote has a format button on it, it's so much easier. You're using a newer remote with an older box.

That box has a menu button on the front of it. You can use that, then control the menu with your remote. Here are the settings for that box, please see the illustration below:

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a Black Remote. Not Gray. I pushed the Menu button on the Cable box but it goes to the same page as the Xfinity Button.

Ok, there is also a format button on the front of the unit. Pressing that repeatedly will cycle through your available video format options.

Did that Format button do the trick? If you keep pressing it repeatedly, eventually it will return to the same setting that you are looking to change, so don't worry about messing it up.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nothing comes up. I pushed like 10 -12 times and nothing. I'm going to talk to xfinity and see what's up.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for all your help. I appreciate it.

You are very welcome. I would suggest upgrading to the X1 box. It's the newer technology, and it works with newer TVs better than those old boxes. Mine was a free upgrade, I just took my old box into the Comcast store, and they exchanged it for the new model. You take it home, hook it up just like your old box, call 1-800-Comcast, and they send the signal to your box to activate it, so you don't have to pay tech fees for them to come set it up. All of the connections are the same, plus you have the latest technology with Netflix, apps, and will record up to 5 shows at once.

That will be your best route, it's time for an upgrade. Please rate 3-5 stars to finish this transaction, and let me know if you have trouble connecting your new box.

littlerusty2005
littlerusty2005
littlerusty2005
littlerusty2005, Expert