TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a Vizio D40u-D1 4K set (refurb) which will randomly

Customer Question
Hello I have a Vizio...
Hello I have a Vizio D40u-D1 4K set (refurb) which will randomly stop displaying and display alternating red green blue black and white screen
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Vizio is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is hooked to a computer and I am using as a monitor
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: HDMI connection
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: From out of the box displaying as computer second acreen
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I did a factory reset and still is an issue
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: TV
10/20/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 3 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2016 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best. It is important to note as well that most anytime something is available to buy as a refurb it is because they had such a high volume of defective ones new that they were able to refurbish and sell in sufficient quantities to offer a refub option, always a sign of quality issues.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

TV is new (refurbished) i will be sending it back
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 2 months ago

If it is new enough to do so I would certainly agree with that approach. If you'd like some recommendations for a better quality model to replace it if you're able to get a refund I'd be happy to help with that as well.

Nathan, Installer