TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

2009 42"Panasonic plasma display powers on and goes to

2009 42"Panasonic plasma display powers...
2009 42"Panasonic plasma display powers on and goes to standby after 30 seconds. Buttons on unit or remote do not work as should.
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: july 2008, TH-42PR11UK
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: This is a display. Has HDMI and Video inputs only. It has expansion slots for tuner but none installed. Menu button or any other button doesn't work as it should. Running finger across all of them will bring up picture but as I said, after 30 seconds it shuts down! It can be restarted again instantly but same result. It is sticking by the 30 second rule...
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Not familiar with history. A friend gave it to me and told me it had black screen.
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That pretty much says it. It work when it wants
10/8/2017
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2008 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This monitor is about double its service life at this point and plasma technology is long obsolete.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the same $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Nathan, Thanks for your confirmation of what I already knew... I cannot locate a service manual for this unit. It seems that like I said, that the 30 second rule is the constant in this problem. I can run finger across all buttons on the unit and the input signal comes on with a beautiful picture and sound for 30 seconds and then shuts down, going into standby mode. The next time I do this the video may have sound or NOT. It always seems to power up without delay, but shuts off in 30 seconds!! Is this logic board issue?
No thank you Nathan. I was hoping that you had dealt with this problem before with your expertise. The boards are all in perfect condition, no discoloration, and the caps are all good. I can buy the parts and risk it instead of spending 26 bucks to be told the same thing. If you don't know, just say so.

Thank you for trying, the service documentation on the commercial monitors is scarce and plasmas are complex creatures there is not one specific identifiable source for these types of issues. So I can't tell you something with certainty, here or on the phone without having it in front of me, and even then it is more a process of elimination. There are typically no distinct visual signs and even bad caps are not always visible they need to actually be tested, but caps would be more of a startup problem than a shut down problem. Based on what you're describing though it is most likely the main board. Do you see any flashing light on the front after it shuts down?

Note I'm not asking you for a call, that is an ad from the site.

Screen blacks out and goes into standby power. No flashing lights only orange color for standby notification. Its frustrating.. It will not stay on long enough to get into the screens to determine what functions are set at. If you were to guess, would you say the main board or the power board?

I would say the main board, if it was a power board issue it more likely would not come on in the first place, I would expect this to be bad eeprom on the main board.

That's what I was thinking, but I wanted a second opinion from someone who may know instead of asking my neighbor and hear about everything else!. I'll get a board off ebay and give it a shot. There's a 5 second rule for food on the floor, but no understandable rule for 30 second shutdown. Thanks for listening to me... I'll let you know what it is.
You’re very welcome and Best of luck to you!
Nathan, Installer
Nathan, Installer