TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a magnavox 50" led tv and the remote doesn't work. I

I have a magnavox 50"...
I have a magnavox 50" led tv and the remote doesn't work. I put new batteries in it, and looked at the led through my phone camera to ensure the remote is working and it is. Can't get my direct tv remote to program to it either. I just bought the tv used
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: Samsung galaxy s5 is the phone that I looked at it through the camera
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I just bought the tv used and can't get the remote to work. No other troubleshooting
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The model number is *****Magnavox 50 inch
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
10/8/2017
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Are you able to operate the tv via its own onboard buttons?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the tv buttons work just fine

Thank you for confirming,

this would indicate either a bad main board or a bad ir sensor board in the tv.

For a 2014 model that type of fault is not at all surprising to see, this set is already well past its expected service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), , changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $200-300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $300 range.

Of course you could keep using it as-is via the onboard buttons to turn it on, since you'd be changing channels on your satellite remote anyway, you'd mostly be missing the volume controls.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Nathan, Installer
Phone call session started
Nathan, Installer