TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have an Insignia TV and it turns off spontaneously. I

Customer Question
I have an Insignia...

I have an Insignia TV and it turns off spontaneously. I believe it is a "loose" connection with the electric cord. How can I tighten the connection?

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Insignia is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

The TV was made in 2008 and the model number is *****

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

The tv will be going great and suddenly shuts off. I turn it on and it may go an hour and it may go minutes. This happened about 4 weeks ago and we changed sockets, etc. and it came on and was fine until yesterday.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't know too much more.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: TV
10/7/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

This is not a cord issue, if the power cord were loose, it would not get any connection at all, or would improve if you wiggled the cord, it would not be intermittent. If it came on after changing sockets, it was more likely a matter of having been reset while unplugged.

Rather this is an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2008 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best. This tv is about 5 times the lifespan expected of these sets, and plasma technology is long obsolete.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $400 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Nathan, Installer