TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a LED RCA TV and it will turn on, but it won't stay…

Customer Question
Hi Good evening, I...

Hi Good evening, I have a LED RCA TV and it will turn on, but it won't stay on, it turns off after 2 min.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?

No problem in the past, it is a MODEL# ***** LED 1080P Smart TV

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Menu works, but i can't get the tv to stay on long enough to do anything

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Came home last night, TV shut itself off (timed out i guess) and I have tried various things ], but nothing is working

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

I purchased the TV DEC. 2015

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: TV
10/5/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 10 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2015 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the same $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?