TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Sound will cut out often - on rare occasions screen darkens…

Customer Question
Sound will cut out...

Sound will cut out often - on rare occasions screen darkens -not black just darkens

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

Model UN55KS 800DFXZA - have misplaced records but only 3 or 4 years at most

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Yes menu ok seems to be on all channels - has been straightening out later in day but getting worse

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

I’d say a couple of weeks- can’t recall anything prior

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

Ca not think of anything- but you might tell him or her that I am88 years old and impossible for me to get behind tv and check things

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
10/5/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 7 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

On what sources does this happen (cable/satellite, dvd, games/apps, etc)?

Satellite
Waiting

Do you not have anything else connected to test? Or other items work just fine?

I am not going to spend $26 -

I'm not asking you to. You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

That call option is an additional amount, you've paid the full chat fees (which are more than that) already.

We can continue here, but I need you to provide the specific information I've requested.

Nothing else

That makes this type of problem difficult to diagnose, as it could be either a satellite box issue or a tv issue.

As an initial step, please unplug power to the satellite box, for at least 5 minutes,

replug, give it another 5 minutes to start back up, and let me know how it works at that point.

I’ll artempt to unplug satellite box
Actually I’m not able to figure it out. I am old and my son takes care of all the electronics but he is working now
I can have him unplug this evening and wait and plug back in
If that doesn’t work what next?
This is a most unsatisfactory method
Where are you?

My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed.

I need you to complete these steps first.

If the box reset does not work, it would be preferable to test another device. If you cannot, then you would need to contact your provider to have the satellite box replaced.

If that still has the same problem, then the tv itself is defective and would require repair/replacement.

Ok

Please let me know how the reset works. Is there a part you are getting stuck on? Are you unable to find the power cord or don't know which cord is which?

The whole bit. There are so many cords on the floor and I am physically unable to get down there and check them. I will have to wait and have my son look into this

If you have everything plugged into a power strip or surge protector and could reach to flip the power switch on it, you could do that for 5 minutes then flip it back on. Otherwise you can wait for him and follow up with me later if needed.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Louie, Technician