TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I HAVE A 19 INCH EMERSON TV. IT IS SET FOR HDMI AND I CANNOT…

Customer Question
I HAVE A 19...

I HAVE A 19 INCH EMERSON TV. IT IS SET FOR HDMI AND I CANNOT GET IT OFF. THIS TV WILL NOT WORK ON HDMI. I CAN'T ANY SOUND EITHER

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

I DON'T KNOW THE MODEL NUMBER. IT IS ABOUT 4 YEARS OLD.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

THE MENU WORKS ON EVERYTHING EXCEPT REMOVING THE HDMI BACK TO TV

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

FOUR DAYS

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

IT IS ON A SUDDENLINK HD BOX

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: TV
10/5/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Can you please tell me the actual model number from the back of the tv?
Are you using the emerson remote?

model number LC195EM9 E yes it is the emerson remote

Thank you for confirming,

will the tv respond to other commands from the remote such as power or volume or menu?
If you press the input button on the tv itself (instead of the remote) does it allow you to change it?

model number LC195EM9 E yes it is the emerson remote NO TO THE FIRST QUESTION. THE INPUT BUTTON AND MENU WILL GIVE ME A NUMBER TO PAIR REMOTE, BUT THAT DOES NOT HELP EITHER
model number LC195EM9 E yes it is the emerson remote NO TO THE FIRST QUESTION. THE INPUT BUTTON AND MENU WILL GIVE ME A NUMBER TO PAIR REMOTE, BUT THAT DOES NOT HELP EITHER. I GET THE MENU BUT IT WILL NOT LET ME GET RID OF THE HDMI.

So even the onboard buttons wont' work?

model number LC195EM9 E yes it is the emerson remote NO TO THE FIRST QUESTION. THE INPUT BUTTON AND MENU WILL GIVE ME A NUMBER TO PAIR REMOTE, BUT THAT DOES NOT HELP EITHER. I GET THE MENU BUT IT WILL NOT LET ME GET RID OF THE HDMI. THE ON AND OFF DOES NOT WORK OR THE CHANNELS. THE SOUND LEVEL WILL GO UP AND DOWN, BUT NO SOUND
model number LC195EM9 E yes it is the emerson remote NO TO THE FIRST QUESTION. THE INPUT BUTTON AND MENU WILL GIVE ME A NUMBER TO PAIR REMOTE, BUT THAT DOES NOT HELP EITHER. I GET THE MENU BUT IT WILL NOT LET ME GET RID OF THE HDMI. THE ON AND OFF DOES NOT WORK OR THE CHANNELS. THE SOUND LEVEL WILL GO UP AND DOWN, BUT NO SOUND I GOT A MESSAGE THE OTHER DAY THAT WOULD NOT WORK ON HDMI

I'm receiving your responses just fine, please do not keep sending the same info over and over, it makes it more difficult to respond and takes longer to process.

Please answer my one specific question: Will the tv respond to its own onboard buttons (power, volume, input, etc).

NO

Thank you for confirming,

this is not a remote control issue then.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2009 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand, it is far more surprising that it has lasted this long. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $150 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

.

TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 7 months ago

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.