TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have only one question, my son purchased a Smart Tv and…

Customer Question
Hi, I have...

Hi, I have only one question, my son purchased a Smart Tv and for some reason cannot hook a regular TV antenna to it to reach local stations. Can you not access local TV channels with a Smart TV. Thank you

Technician's Assistant: What's the exact make and model of your television? And how long has this been happening with the channels?

I believe that is a Vizio E55 or E50. It was just purchased last month from Walmart and he has never been able to access the channels. I have e-mailed my son to get exact numbers but make take a few minutes

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Yes the TV menu works but when we look for a connection there is none there only the internet and gaming connections.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Since he purchased it. 2 months

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

Not at this time

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
10/3/2017
TV Technician: Kraig, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Kraig
Kraig, Engineer

Hello and good morning.

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems accessing local channels via the TV antenna.

First of all, ensure that the TV input is set to Cable/Antenna. Use your remote control or button on the side/back of the TV to set the input source.

Then there is something else that many people do not understand and realize. Simply putting an antenna on the TV is not going to make you automatically pick up local stations. If you are using an indoor antenna, that makes matters worst because the VHF and UHF waves that carry the signals for the local channels may be partially blocked by walls in your house or other equipment that interfere with the signal. I have a Smart TV with an indoor antenna and I have to hold and move the antenna around in different positions until I am able to pick up even one local channel. So, using an indoor antenna, like a rabbit ears or V-antenna, will make it very difficult to pick up local stations.

The best thing that you can do is get an outdoor antenna that is not affected by the factors inside your house, like I mentioned. An outdoor antenna is 90% more likely to pick up local stations because of its height and number of probes on it that point in different directions. Please note that an outside antenna may need to be rotated until you are able to properly pick up local stations. At least once you set it in the right position, then you do not have to move it again. You can buy an outside antenna at Walmart, on Amazon or eBay, or at other electronics and TV stores.

I hope that my answer has been helpful. If so, please select 3, 4, or 5 stars and click Submit so that I can be paid for helping you because we do not get paid automatically.
Thanks for using JustAnswer and have a lovely day.

I have not heard back from you and was wondering if I was able to successfully assist you.
If so, please remember to rate my answer (if you are unsure how to do that, please click here for instructions).
Enjoy the rest of your evening.

Kraig
Kraig
Kraig, Engineer