TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Dears, I have VIZIO TV bought from Club in Plano, TX USA…

Customer Question
Dears, I have VIZIO TV...

Dears,
I have VIZIO TV bought from SAM Club in Plano, TX USA before few years.
TV information: VIZIO SV421XVT
100-240 volt – 2.6 A 50/60 Cycle
Part No.***********Serial No. LSPELAK (###) ###-####It was working perfect till last month. Few days TV became not working completely, that was after I tried to put “fire TV stick (with Alexa Voice Remote)” from AMAZON CEO984 to operate the TV on (HDMI)
Please advise a technician to repair it
Address:***** Appt# *****
Phone:(###) ###-####Email:***@******.***

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Vizio is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

According to my memory : around five years

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

The TV not working completely, It seems like not connected to power

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Also not working corectly

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

No thing, But I need an expert to check and repair it

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: TV
10/2/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 10 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2009 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the same $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?