TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I am trying to upgrade from a Samsung UE40D6100 SW to a 4K…

Customer Question
Hi, I am trying...

Hi, I am trying to upgrade from a Samsung UE40D6100 SW to a 4K Samsung UE50 MU6102 mostly because I make and edit 4K home video, and would like to display it by connecting a HDD directly to the TV via USB.

Technician's Assistant: What's the exact make and model of your television? And what have you tried as far as getting this connected goes?

The present TV displays all the files on the HDD connected and I can choose what I would like to play - and plays them, except the 4K files. (Incompatible format is the message). This is what I expect, and this is why I want to buy a 4K TV.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

However, when I connect the same HDD to any Samsung 4K TV , It does not display all the files on the HDD, as the other TV does, only the files which are edited and ready . If I try to look at the file which contains unedited video files, downloaded from my Sony camera (does not matter what format), instead of displaying the subfiles, so I could choose which one I would like to look at, the TV apparently working on downloading the whole content,(the circle just goes around forewer), and because there are a lot of files there, I cant wait long enough to see the result, if any. As I said at the beginning, The older (2K, if I may call it that) TV dispays the content of this file correctly, lets me choose what I want to see - but beacause it can't display 4K content, gives me the message "not compatible file format" instead.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Question: What is wrong with the software in the Samsung 4K TV-s ? (I have tried several tipes in the store, all of the behaves like I described). Is there an upgrade to eliminate this problem. Until there is a solution, I postpone buying, and use a computer to downgrade the 4K content, or go an other brand. Please help. Thanks *****: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

That is all I want to say. Thank you.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
10/2/2017
TV Technician: Pete, Electronic Engineer replied 7 months ago
Pete, Electronic Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hi, I am Joe, glad to see you received my question. I am waiting for you expert advice.

Hi Joe, when the HDD is connected to the TV via USB, the TV needs to index all of the files and get them ready for viewing. If you disconnect and reconnect the HDD, it will do this each time. Therefore it is a good idea to leave the HDD connected once it has been indexed.

If you want to regularly connect and disconnect the USB HDD, then only add the movies to it that you want to watch.

Try adding just one movie to it and then connect the HDD to see if it gets it ready for viewing more quickly.

Pete, you are missing an important point: The old Samsung TV (not 4K), displays the files on the HDD fully and correctly. The two 4K TV sets, I have tried in the store: both Samsung: UE50MU6102, and UE49MU6402 do not display the files, but dislays a never ending circle going aroung in the middle of the sceen. I think, perhaps down loading all the contents of the files, instead of just the titles of the individual files. Please read my earlier description closely.

I did see that - the non-4K TV displays the file names but does not index the content as it is 4K, so time is saved.

the question is: The older TV is displaying the file names, but the new 4K TV is not able to do the same. Why ? It is obviously a software problem. As I described , I have tried two different Samsung 4K TV-s, none of them displayed the file names, nor played any of the files. Only the small circle appeared in the center, going and going around.
If you do not have and answer, please tell me, and - as your website advertise it - REFUND MY MONEY, please !

How long did you leave the HDD connected?

How many GB of 4K data is on the HDD?

It may take several hours to index - try leaving it connected overnight and check if the filenames are ***** ***** the next morning.

Your suggestion does not make sense. As I described earlier, the OLD TV displays the file boxes with their titles in a very short time (several seconds). The new 4K TV displays only a rotating circle, nothing more. REFUND MY MONEY, PLEASE!

Joseph, I have given you the correct answer.

You are comparing two different TV types - the non-4K TV will simply list the 4K file names and not index them, however the 4K TV will recognise them as playable and will spend time indexing the entire content - this is why you will see it spinning for hours when first connected.

If you actually tried what I suggested you would see that this is true!

Pete.

Pete! I do not own a 4K TV yet. I did the test dedcribed in a store to see which TV to buy. I can't expect the sales person to wait until next day to see if all the files "indexed".

Ok, perhaps you could buy it and return it if you don't like it?

If the TV tested in the store does not work, why should I buy and take it home - and return it the next day, as you recommend? It does not make sense! Please stop your advices, and RETURN MY MONEY !
If not satisfied money is returned! Stated on the website, you work for- PLEASE!
If you aren't happy with the TV and you don't want to buy the TV then don't buy it!
I do not work for the website. I am a user of this website just like you. I have no insight into accounts or billing. Is there anything else I can help you with today?
Pete, Electronic Engineer