TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My t.v. is currently showing snow and it doesn't have any…

Customer Question
My t.v. is currently showing...
My t.v. is currently showing snow and it doesn't have any sound. Everything was working great until I ran a tv channel setup. Now the tv is on channel 2 and will not change. I have went through the easy setup a hundred times all different ways. The input is on for HDMI. It can never find channels. I've even unplugged it 2 reset it. Still crickets... can someone please help me?? I have googled and googled. I've been trying all day!!!
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/2/2017
TV Technician: Shahid, Technician replied 8 months ago
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

- Do you use cable remote to change channels on TV?

But I have both remotes.

OK, is the cable hooked into HDMI input of TV?

Everything is setup correctly.
A tech set it all up yesterday. And it worked perfectly until I did a channel scan on the tv.

OK, it seems either cable box isn't sending out video signals to TV via HDMI out port OR the HDMI input of TV has got internal problem so became unable to receive cable box video signals.

Lets try easy thing first that might help..

- Have you tried to disconnect TV and cable box power cords from power outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in, let cable box reboot that may take several minutes and check?
If not yet, please try it now and reply back with the result

Already done.

OK, are you able to select correct HDMI input in TV where the cable box is hooked into?

The t.v. will only pickup channel 2.

I understand, please troubleshoot the problem with me and reply on question that I ask that will help me

OK, you can select HDMI input in TV, correct?

If so, while leave TV on HDMI input, disconnect cable box power cord for a minute, replug back in to get it reboot.

Does TV show any thing at all now?

No
May I speak now?

Sure please

It is not recognizing the digital channels.
It won't change 2 HDMI. Even tho I have it on. It's on analog.
It says...
Cable
Analog
2

Let me explain one thing, if TV is connected to a cable box then all channel process is done within cable box and TV used as monitor.

Channel scan/ setup will work if TV is hooked to an antenna or coaxial cable directly plugged into antenna/ RF/ tuner input.

If cable service coming from outside goes into cable box then an HDMI cord from cable box goes to HDMI input of TV then channel search/ setup in TV menu will not work to get you channels.

Ok. Everything was working perfectly earlier. The t.v. should b on channel 3 and say HDMI. But it will only show channel 2.

Can you please recheck how this TV gets channel signals?

via antenna

or coaxial cable directly hooked into TV

or is there a cable box hooked into TV that has its own remote control?

The t.v. should b on channel 3 and say HDMI.

This is incorrect, I'm afraid. TV will be either on channel-3 or HDMI input

A cable box with its own remote control.
Ok whatever. It's not showing either 1

OK, what kind of cord runs between cable box and TV?

I'm sorry about all these questions as I can't see the connection setup from here and have to ask it to understand the situation

Is it HDMI cord plugged into HDMI OUT of cable box and hooked into HDMI INPUT of TV?

What should the digital audio output b set on? Off? Bitstream? PCM?
it is.
I totally understand u having 2 ask questions.

Digital audio setting depends what kind of external sound system is connected to TV, mostly PCM setting works for all type of external sound bar/ sound system etc

Ok. Should the output b an variable? Or fixed?

Thanks for understanding.

Since cable box is connected into HDMI input then there is no need to run channel setup in TV menu as it wont work at all.

All it needs to select HDMI input source by pressing input button on TV remote.

If TV wont allow to select HDMI input or doesn't show picture then we need to verify the HDMI input of TV with another working video source/ device such as DVD/ Bluary player

Should the output b an variable? Or fixed?

Variable if want to control sound with TV remote and set it fixed if use sound system remote for volume

On input select should it b component? Or video?

If any video source/ device is connected into those inputs then select them.

If no device is hooked into component Or video then no need to select any of them

The only thing hooked up is the cable box.
It wants 1 or the other.

If HDMI inputs are grayed out/ disabled that means cable box isn't sending out video signals there.

At that point you need to connect another video source instead of cable box to verify if HDMI input is now working?

OR connect this cable box to another working TV to verify the cable box

They are not grayed out. The only way I can get 2 them is on the initial setup screen under input skip.
I got this cable box yesterday and a tech installed it. Everything was working up until I did a channel scan.

OK, channel scan was unnecessary and wont do any thing better

Please do not skip HDMI inputs and you can enable them by going into same input skip option in TV menu.

Just letting u know that's when the screen turned 2 snow.

I understand, when select TV input source and no antenna is hooked then snow will show up on screen.

The menu says input skip. All r enabled.

OK, then pull the HDMI cable from cable box and plug it in DVD/ Bluray player (is available) as a test to verify the HDMI input of TV as you should get picture of DVD/ Bluray player on screen

Well Netflix works.

Sounds good but it has nothing to do with HDMI input of TV and only way is to test it with another video source/ device as requested in previous reply

I'm on it sir.

Thanks, I'm standby

Dvd player does not have HDMI port. Only rca cables.

Any Bluray player by chance to try?

A gaming console that has HDMI Out port?

All gamers r in kids room. Sleeping.

OK, lets try another approach, any other working TV nearby to connect this cable box as a test?

Right now we need to narrow down the issue because we are not sure if problem is within cable box or TV