TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a RCA 50inch LED TV and the serial number is

Customer Question
I have a RCA...

I have a RCA 50inch LED TV and the serial number is ***** I have had it for about 3years. I am unable to find the TV remote control and since last night "Please run channel auto scan" has been flashing on the TV screen. I have tried all the buttons on TV panel and it is still flashing. Can you help?

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the LED television's exact make and model?

RCA Serial Number RLDED5078A

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

I can change the information manually on the Source/Select

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

This problem only started last night. I had the converter in my hand changing the channel or something when this happened.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/28/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 10 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Are you able to access the rca menu screens with the onboard buttons?

Great, you may be able to get through this then without the remote,

go into the menu, under the Channels section, and choose the Auto Scan function there, it will run through that process (though may not find anything) and that will satisfy the programming requirement, then you can go back to using the tv at that point as normal.

I guess I will wait for the solution online. I just realised that the cost of a live phone call is an additional $35.00 which I cannot afford at this time

I'm not asking you to pay more, You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

I sent a few written steps above to start with.

I got as far as the channel section and when I pressed the auto scan , a prompt comes up saying "are you sure you want to auto scan , yes or no? and I cannot get that to change.

Try using the volume up/down buttons to select

I have tried the up/down buttons. Still not moving

How do you normally use the tv? Antenna, basic cable, or cable/satellite box?

basic cable

Okay to be clear basic cable is a coax cable from the wall to the tv, without a cable box or converter box of any kind.

If that is what you have, you will have to proceed through the scan function to be able to use the tv . If you have an actual cable box, we may be able to get around this.

At this point, if you are using basic cable, you will need the remote to finish the scan process, you may order a replacement online, here: http://www.remotecontrols.com/product/RLDED5078A.html

Sorry, I misunderstood the question. I do have a cable box with ROGERS.

That is a different situation then. If the tv was reset at some point, due to a power outage or just a hardware glitch in the tv (completely normal on an rca tv of this age), then you would still have to go through the scan,

what you can try to get past it is just changing the input. If you are using a coax connection from the box to the tv, please change that to hdmi if possible, or the component/composite video connection, then change the source mode on the tv to match and see if the scan message goes away.

I changed it to HDM1 and the screen showed "No signal". When I changed it back, "Please run auto channel is showing"

Do you have the rogers box plugged into the hdmi1 port?

I believe so

Okay so you need to change over to the hdmi1 input and leave it there.

Make sure the rogers box is on. If you don't get anything still unplug the rogers box for a few minutes to reboot it and test again.

I see you clicked on the call request, earlier you said you didn't want that due to the cost, but have now clicked the request for it, would you like me to call or ignore that?

Please ignore the box ticked for phone call requested

Will do, please go ahead with the reboot and input mode.

I rebooted and now the cable box is black.

It may take a few minutes to start back up.

The power is back on at the cable box and the screen is still flashing "no signal"

Do you have anything else there that you can test with the tv, like a dvd player perhaps or another cable box? That would help us to isolate the source of the problem as this could be a bad cable box or a deeper problem with the tv.

I do not have any of the above items you mentioned. I am sorry the problem is unresolved but I have to attend an important household matter. Thanks for your assistance.

Okay we are unfortunately a bit stuck at this point then as further testing is necessary to determine the actual root of the problem.

Cable boxes have very high failure rates, but so do rca tvs. Considering that the channel scan issue came up suddenly, this is more likely a hardware defect in the tv itself, but as a next step I'd recommend contacting rogers and asking if they can replace the cable box for you, so then you know you have a new working box. If you still have the problem at that point, then it would confirm a hardware fault in the tv, and it is time for a new tv in that situation. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best so a failure of the tv at this point is not at all surprising. It is also not at all worth fixing, as it would cost as much to repair it as it would to buy a brand new tv with a fresh warranty from a more reputable brand. Should it come to that, I'd be happy to recommend some replacement options for you.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work as an independent technician.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.