TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Vizio model E550i-B2 that is just over 2 years old.

Customer Question
I have a Vizio...

I have a Vizio model E550i-B2 that is just over 2 years old. It was working fine when I turned it off at night, but would not come on the next morning. I see by on-line comments that this looks like a common occurrence. What can you tell me?

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Vizio is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Purchased July 15, 2015. Receipt says it is Vizio 55 E550I-B2 LCD TV. I do have a serial number if that will help

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

No, nothing works. We have checked power sources. All are as they should be. I don't know what you mean by "sources/inputs"

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

It has never happened before this occurrence. We turned it off at night and it would not turn on in the morning.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

No, I can't imagine what is going on. Is there a reset button anywhere?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: TV
9/27/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 10 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2015 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the $500 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?