TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Samsung TV model UN55HE6001. It has sound but no…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a Samsung TV model UN55HE6001. It has sound but no picture. Mainly black, but there's a very slight silhouette that I can see but barely. It just started earlier today while I was watching tv.

Technician's Assistant: How old is your Samsung, and have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?

Almost 5 yrs old. I actually unplugged the cable box for a few hours. Thought it was the cable box acting up lol

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Not sure if it's working. If it is, I can't really see it on the screen...because the screen is so dark.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Just today. 6 1/2 hrs ago. The screen was perfect when I was watching then when I walked away, it had a black screen.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

That's all I can say about it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: TV
9/27/2017
TV Technician: Louie, Technician replied 8 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially, have you tried unplugging the TV for an extended period of time? ...the longer the better

And then plug back in but into a different outlet.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

No I haven't

Can we try that please?

...even if just to eliminate it as a suspect and simulate a soft RESET.

For how long?

Say an hour or so

Ok will do

...and would look forward to an update by then.

Ok. Will I still believe connected to u?
Sorry...auto correct
Will I still be connected to u?

Yes; post back and the site would prompt me to reply.

Hello...
Are u still there?

Yes; still here.

I will go to the gym for about an hour or so. Will that be, ok?

No prob; as posted above, the longer the better.

The idea is to simulate a soft RESET and dissipate residual power for test purposes.

Cool. I'll be back..

Make good.

can I plug it in now?
Hello...I'm back

Had to step out too.

Any updates?

Should I plug it in now?

Yes please.

Nothing has changed

Then it would be indicative of an internal hardware issue.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter (and even perhaps a soldering iron)?

No, I don't have a multi-meter. I have a soldering iron though
I can borrow one or even go buy one

Great on the DIY!
Please post back with clear pictures of the "...internal circuit boards..." Click HERE.

These pictures would then serve as common references.

Can I get back with u in a few hours? It's actually 4:08am here. Need some sleep. I'll have a multi-meter in hand when I get back to u...

I understand; again, when conveniently able.

Thank u for understanding��

...no prob.

Hi Louie, I'm finally back. I have my multi-meter...

Yes;... and the pictures please?

TV Technician: Louie, Technician replied 7 months ago

Appreciate the post back and as posted sometime ago, "...internal circuit boards..."

Thanks.

Heyes Louie, I'm back. So what's the next step?
Hey...

... and the pictures please? ...of the "...internal circuit boards..."

I don't know where that is located. That wasn't the one? The picture I sent u?
Do I have to open up the TV and look inside?

Sorry but yes; the pictures would be inside with the back cover off hence "...internal circuit boards..."

Sorry. I've never opened up a TV before. It'll take me some time...

Only if you are comfortable proceeding; i.e. unplug, remove back cover.

And voltage measurements with a multi-meter would mean that the TV would have to be plugged in; it is therefore LIVE!

I've never used a multi-meter before either. Is there a chance I can get shocked if I open up my TV?

Let's leave the TV unplugged again for some time before attempting to open up the back cover.

What is the model number of the multi-meter?

I've actually removed all the screws except 1. The last one seems like it's cross-threaded. Might be a problem there.Let me a picture of the multi-meter...

I understand.

...just be careful and exercise caution.

Thanks.

This appears to be the main board. We would be for the moment be interested with the power supply board where the AC power cord comes in.

Still, not the power supply.

Great; yes it is.

This would be the power supply board that houses also the LED driver board. The LED driver board is responsible for providing the voltage to drive the LED lamps to light up. This is then the backlight which is the soft whitish glow of the background.

From the pictures, the Part Number BN44-00503A something like the boards shown HERE and HERE.
Rule of thumb is to replace only with an identically numbered board.
Considering the part cost, repairs would appear to be economically reasonable.
A more reliable source would be HERE.

Make sure that the TV is unplugged when working with it.

Take pictures, ...lots of pictures of the insides. This would serve as your reference if a wire or connector or screw or position goes astray.

when do I use the multi-meter?

On the suspect / power supply board would be connectors with several pins. Please inspect closely as near these connectors would be a legend/label of what is the expected voltage. The multi-meter would then be used to confirm the presence and consistency of these voltages.

A friendly reminder: voltage measurements by its very nature requires that the unit be plugged in and turned on. It is therefore LIVE! Please exercise due care and caution.

Hi Louie, sorry I've been on vacation. I finally received the part, but i think i ordered the wrong part. When i tried to purchase the part, a window popped up telling me that they were out of stock and offered a replacement part instead, so i ordered it. But came to find out, it's a power supply / LED board component repair kit instead. They look like replacement parts for the board. For some reason, it's not letting me attach a picture to this message.

Appreciate the update and it would appear that this kit would require component level repairs.

To my understanding, this Samsung BN44-00503A Power Supply Component Repair Kit includes all commonly failing components on the power supply board where the symptoms include TV will not turn on, open line fuse, missing 5V standby, missing PFC and no run voltages.

It does not however address black screen / no picture / no backlight.

Replacing the whole board assembly would then be an attempt of a fix and a test by process of elimination.

Louie, Technician