TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I just bought a new tv. I went to plug in the hdmi coming

Customer Question
I just bought a new...
I just bought a new tv. I went to plug in the hdmi coming from the cable box and it started to spark
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: TV
9/26/2017
TV Technician: Shahid, Technician replied 1 month ago
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

I'm sorry you're having trouble with it, I need more info to troubleshoot the problem.

- Was the same cable working fine with older TV?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There was a short circuit on the line a few days ago.

OK, can you try another video source such as DVD/ Bluray player into HDMI input of TV to verify it is still working?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can plug in my chromecast

Thanks for additional info about short circuit on cable line.

It seems cable box has got internal short and causing the spark, if TV HDMI input found good then call your cable company to get the cable box replaced. If TV found bad with Chromecast then I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the TV to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I hope these info will help. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page so I can get credit of my work on website.
Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I know it's a shortbin the cable box and not something wrong with the house wiring?

Its easy, connect any other device to TV that has its own power cord, for example gaming console, DVD player into TV to verify it.

House wiring would be fine because there would be lost of other electric appliances at home connected and getting power from same wiring.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But I've heard that tv's can be very tricky since normal appliances don't care if you hotswap or have incorrect grounding whereas a tv does

Let me explain the TV part, it came after leakage test and its power supply board is the one that connects directly to house wiring to get power, rest of circuit boards work on low voltage. It cabinet is made of plastic so no issue of grounding to avoid any electric shock.

If you still think TV is causing the spark then simply return it to get it replaced with another unit and connect it to cable box.

Do you need any further assistance with this question?

Shahid
Shahid
Shahid, Technician