TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Having trouble with samsung 40 inch 4k tv going on and off…

Customer Question
Having trouble with samsung...

Having trouble with samsung 40 inch 4k tv going on and off and not recognizing one of hdmi ports

Technician's Assistant: What's the exact make and model of your television? And have you done any troubleshooting yourself?

Having trouble with my 40 inch 4k tv going on and off and not recognizing 1 of the hdmi ports

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

The menu works and 2 of 3 hdmi ports work

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

The going off and on for awhile the hdmi port just a few days

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: TV
9/25/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 10 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Can you please get me the full model number off of the back of the Samsung and also tell me how old the set is?

un40ku63000f set is 1year and a half years old

Thank you for the reply. These symptoms all point to a failing mainboard in the set (the mainboard houses the HDMI ports, and also processes the turn on/off command in the set). In most cases these symptoms ultimately require replacement of the Mainboard.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up and functions normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Were you able to try those steps? Are you still having the same problem?