TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a 60" Samsung smart tv. It just started to act up.

Customer Question
I have a 60"...

I have a 60" Samsung smart tv. It just started to act up. The picture goes from one picture to three pictures running horizonal

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your smart tv?

Series 6, 6100, lED tv

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

The problem is the same on all channels but now the screen is black

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Started last night. If I turned it off than on again the picture would last about five minutes before changing to three views

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

I just got the picture on again after turning it off for a couple of minutes

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: TV
9/25/2017
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 8 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

What's the full model number (not the series) off of the back of the TV?

What's the age of the set?

What is connected to it (cable box, dvd, etc.)?

When the TV screen acts up, if you use the original Samsung remote and press MENU- does the MENU display normally?

Un60es6100f
5 years old
Verizon Cable box
No

Thank you. To rule out the cable box, please grab the original Samsung remote (which supersedes the cable remote and connections) and press MENU when the screen is acting up. Let me know if the MENU image displays normally.

The menu shows three times

Okay that's bad news and indicates the TV's LCD processing is failing (generally the T-con board or the Mainboard will need to be replaced). How often does this occur? Also have you tried unplugging the TV for 5 minutes as an attempt at a reset yet?

Are you still with me?

I'm rebooting the tv after 5 minutes

Can you respond to my reply from 7:06 please?

It started last night. The picture lasts about three or four kinuted

Have you tried unplugging the TV for 5 minutes yet?

I just plugged it back in

What were the results?

It lasted two minutes now I have three pictures

Okay unfortunately this does indicate a hardware failure with the TV with the T-con board (LCD processor) or Mainboard that requires repairs. There are no settings/adjustments that will correct the 3 times multiplied images you're getting. The only other attempt at a quick fix, is to leave the set unplugged for several hours in the hopes that it resets. If the issue persists beyond this, the average cost for this repair is in the $250-$300 range (depending on which board has failed) and if you'd like you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

If the issue goes beyond that - then this does indicate a hardware fault in the set, with the power board or Mainboard that requires repairs. There are no settings/adjustments that will cause the TV to shut itself down. The only other attempt at a quick fix, is to leave the set unplugged for several hours in the hopes that it resets. The average cost for this repair is in the $200-$250 range (depending on which board has failed) and if you'd like you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?

Aric, Technician