TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

LG plasma -LDS201 power problems. 2011. Does not power up.

Customer Question
LG plasma BM-LDS201 power...

LG plasma BM-LDS201 power problems

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

2011

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Does not power up

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Nothing...just won't power up

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

I want a solution rather than a fix and psame problem later

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
50PZ750
50PZ750-UG
Hello?
Both green boards have green lights on
When power button is pressed the red light goes to blue and flashes twice
small green board flashes: Long green.....quick green then 3 long green flashes
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hellllllllo?
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/25/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 7 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow us time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed.

Would you still like help with this?

Thanks for confirming, give me just a few moments to send some detailed info for you

I’ve attempted to accept your call request, but it appears to have failed on your end due to a payment issue. You may need to increase your deposit or call your bank to clear a security hold on your account (the 2nd charge is usually what triggers this, not a problem with the card number/info).

If you prefer to continue here in chat, that is fine too. Just let me know either way.

nathan...there is no problem payment went thru

It did for the chat, a call is an additional cost and is what didn't go through

I'll still send you a written answer here, and if you want to get into more detail on a call, we can get that sorted later,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board (most likely based on symptoms), though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2011 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This set is well past its service life at this point, and plasma technology is long obsolete.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

To repair yourself, you'd be starting with a new main board, though they are virtually impossible to find anymore, which leaves you with having to find a used part which won't last long. Even if you do manage to fix the current issue, there are half a dozen other boards that will continue to fail sooner than later, so even in a best case scenario you may get another year or so out of it, but it will not extend the life of the tv any appreciable amount.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will usually make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $400 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Louie, Technician