TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

We have a Panasonic Viera 58 inch plasma TV. The menu does…

We have a Panasonic Viera...
We have a Panasonic Viera 58 inch plasma TV. The menu does not contain a "help" option. How do we get to the self test mode on this model?
9/24/2017
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician

Hello, I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....
Are you available to chat with me right now?

Let me know when you are ready

What is wrong with the tv? What are the symptoms?

Is this $26 in addition to the $33 for this session?

Yes, appears site sent you a phone call offer. I did not send the offer.
I am not available by phone. Phone call is not needed.

We can simply continue our chat.

We have multiple vertical images on the monitor

You mean vertical lines showing on the screen?

No there are crisp partial screen images in multiples to fill the monitor. And also on the top and bottom of the monitor has a black strip with vertical white lines that scroll to the left ( the almost look like a barcode). Also, our
tv "Menu" button pull-down does not
Offer a "help option.

First, I don't see any "help" option in the manual that Panasonic provides for this tv.

Next, please list what is connected into the tv?

-antenna

-cable

-satellite

-others

Power cord, HDMI cable x2 that go to a preamp and oppo bluray player. The pre amp coordinates the system. But the monitor displays this problem on every device input. Would it help if I send a picture of what we're seeing on the monitor?

for now:

-Disconnect all the HDMI/audio/video cables from the back of the tv.

-Is the problem still showing on the screen with no devices connected?

Ok just a minute
The screen is black

If you bring up the TV MENU with the Panasonic remote, is that menu showing NORMAL or is it affected by the symptoms you described?

The menu has always been fine throughout this problem

Tell me more about the "preamp". The next test is to get a regular hdmi cable (10ft or less) and connect something to the tv directly (bypass the preamp etc). Is the picture normal?

We're working on it

ok

Used a 3rd HDMI cable to the DVR box and got normal picture

Great, we have pretty much ruled out the tv as being the problem!

At this point, you could try rebooting your preamp (unplug from power for 3 minutes) and reseating ALL the hdmi cables... if that doesn't help, try replacing the hdmi cables one at a time until you find the bad one.

Ok

Let me know if you need more help and before you go please do submit a 5 star rating at the top of this page so that I am at least recognized for helping with your question. If you are having issues with the rating try refreshing the page.

Mike G.
Mike G., Technician