TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Experiencing a black screen on my tv, i have sound, no back

lights. I own a...
Experiencing a black screen on my tv, i have sound, no back lights. I own a Sharp.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Sharp is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 2 1/2 years i believe.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: sharp lc-70le660u
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Cant see the menu at all
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Started last night, no popping that i know of at all.
I have the back of my tv off already.
9/24/2017
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

I'm sorry you're having trouble with it, I need more info to troubleshoot the problem.

- Do you see a dim picture if shine a flashlight closely on the screen at an angle?

No, I cant see anything with a flashlight.
No i think this will work this way.

OK - Have you tried to disconnect TV and cable box power cords from power outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in, let cable box reboot that may take several minutes and check?
If not yet, please try it now and reply back with the result

NOTE: Phone call or any other offer is automated and not sent by me. Feel free to ignore it if you prefer to troubleshoot the problem here in text chat.

I just did, waiting 10 minutes. When turning it back on do I have to hit the volume and channel up button?

No, just plug in both units, cable box and TV should turn On itself, reply back with the result to proceed further

Im good, i refreshed the screen.

Nice, I was also confused about blurred messages issue

Thanks for the pictures, excellent pix

Just plug them back in, Waiting For cable box to boot up

OK, take your time

The screen is still entirely black, normally it isn't at this point.

Sorry to hear that, do you still get sound from TV speakers?

I do
Sound is back on. Whats next?

OK, it is backlight system failure in TV that made screen dark, it is either power supply board failure that provides voltage to backlight inside screen or the backlight LEDs inside screen are not working any more to generate light to glow the screen.

Power board is located on left at rear of TV and the connector on top left of power board that goes inside screen provides volts to backlight system.

It needs further troubleshooting in TV with multimeter/ backlight tester to determine that is bad to get it replaced if you have plan to do it yourself, however, if backlight LEDs found bad then it is serious issue and should be done by experienced TV tech to replace LED strips because display panel/ the screen will take apart for it.

Please click following supplier link to view power board and backlight LED strips image and price info if you have plan to do it yourself..

http://www.shopjimmy.com/sharp/lc-70le660u

If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote...
http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
http://www.tvrepairman.com/
I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and it is definitely hardware failure that needs defective board/ LED strips replacement to resolve the issue. I trust my input will help you out to make decision about this TV repair or invest that money on new replacement TV.
If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page so I can get credit of my work on website.
Thank you.

Isn't my tv an LCD?

It is an LCD TV, LED is backlight system to light up the screen,.

Display panel consist of many things, LCD is glass sheet that has liquid crystals that make an image and LEDs are used to generate backlight behind that LCD sheet to present that image to viewer.

Understood! Another issue that what's going on prior to this, I had four vertical lines running across the screen. Could this potentially be a backlight issue also? Might this be a fix for that also?

Are those vertical lines in black and full from top to bottom?

No there was two across the center from left to right about an inch and a half apart and then there were two along the bottom of the screen that were a lot closer together, maybe half inch.

Vertical lines on screen is always problem with LCD sheet and has nothing to do with backlight system, sorry about this news.

You will get those lines once screen gets light up and only fix is to replace entire screen of TV which is of course not feasible because display panel/ the screen replacement would cost more than a new TV price of same size.

I hope these info will help. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page so I can get credit of my work on website.
Thank you.

Any recommendation for a TV Brand? Had bad luck with a Samsung, dots all over the screen and then scratching sound in the speakers. And now with this Sharp I'm having issues with the lines across and now the spackling issue. A friend of mine has a 90 inch Vizio which he's had for years and has hadn't had any issues with it. Your opinion?
One thing I didn't tell you is if I turn the TV off and then turn it back on the screen flashes so I can see what's on for a Split Second

OK, then it is definitely backlight LED strips issue and power board would be fine.

Vizio is nice brand for low budget TVs, high end brands are Sony, Panasonic, Samsung etc, currently these flat panel TVs (LCD, LED etc) last few years say 3-4 years so do not expect them for more than 3-4 years service.

It's sad that they don't last longer.

I understand that, but they want to increase the sales.

Thank you.

How many led strips does my tv have? Would they all be bad or just one maybe?

It could be couple of strips that went bad, once you open the screen then look for burn marks on LED strips to see how many of them are defective to replace.

Usually at least/ minimum 4 strips around the edges of screen in small size TV and bigger screen would have more some times 20 or more strips inside, it depends what kind of screen that TV has utilized.

Safe to say my 70" has quite a few. Ugh!

Yes, it would have quite a few but not sure how many have defective/ should be replaced.

Shahid
Shahid, Technician
$50 each on the site you sent me. We will soon see.
$120 used on Amazon. This oughta be fun. Thanks for all your help! ����������

Much welcome, wish you the best~

Shahid
Shahid
Shahid, Technician