Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Technician
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics
23511658

Lenvo laptop to model un32j4000bf Samsung led tv. Tv back

Lenvo laptop to model un32j4000bf Samsung led tv. Tv back shows an hdmi ( which I need for cable tv) and. DVI port. Laptop doenot have a hdmi port but does have a mini display port. What do I need to connect them using the dvi port?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the LED television's exact make and model?
Customer: Can I attach a picture to you?
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Haven't set it up because the instructions said to connect everything first Other than cable this is th e only thing plugged into ii
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: New setup! Not sure what issue you r working on but didn't say anything about pop up
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Samsung model 32j4000bf. Type un32j4000. Verision ld04. S/n 06ar3ckha1076311

Hello. My name is***** will be helping you with your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and respond.

OK, so you would like to connect your Lenovo laptop to your Samsung TV is that correct?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.

and you have both HDMI connections on your TV busy with some other device?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Okay this where I am confused one says hdmi, which I need for cable tv. The other says dvi instructions show connecting pc using that port but also says no audio.

According to Samsung your TV has 2 working HDMI ports on your TV and if your lenovo laptop just have a display port I could give you a link with the proper adapter you could use with your TV, but first I need the model number of your Lenovo Laptop to confirm.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Sorry wrong pic

I have another step for you to follow once you get me the model number of your Lenovo laptop.....so please let me know when ready.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Lenovo thinkpad t430

OK, while I find the proper adapter that goes with that laptop, can you please plug in your Cable Box onto THAT other HDMI port to confirm if you get audio and video just like the other one you are currently using........please update me with the findings.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Can't it is not totally connected yet, want to make sure all cables are attached before hanging it up.

OK, do you have any other HDMI device such as a DVD player in order to test that second HDMI port?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
No but tv is brand new never been used
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Remember it does have a mini display port

OK, so now let me explain to you how the picture diagram works.........if you look at the HDMI port they are both suggesting something that could be plugged into them......(STB and DVI) BUT NOT necessarily those.......so if the TV is new ANY HDMI device would work including anything coming from the computer through the right adapter......and I found the adapter let me know when ready so I can send you a link.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Okay
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Wait adapter for what

OK this is the adapter, can you please confirm if that looks like something that could go into your laptop's display port?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12742

based on your TV, I don't see a mini display port on the back of it...so you are going to need an adapter to use with HDMI.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
No

NO what? that's not the right adapter? or am I wrong about your TV having a Mini Display Port?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Tv not mini....laptop mini. Tv hdmi port

So did you check the link I sent you?

that's the right cable for it that makes the mini display port into FULL HDMI.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
K thank for your help

I'm glad I was able to resolve your issue, Please remember to click on the 5-Star rating and SUBMIT before leaving. Thank you

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Got it