TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a 3 year old (exactly) Sony KDL60W850B Bravia with…

I have a 3...

I have a 3 year old (exactly) Sony KDL60W850B Bravia with red lights blinking 4 times. I've attempted the reset numerous times without luck. Everything else has been unplugged form the TV, the TV has been plugged directly into the wall, we've held down the up arrow button on the remote making sure that it was aimed properly, while pressing power on the actual TV. We finally go tit to turn on and saw reset listed on the screen in the lower left corner but then the TV turned off again on its own. Can figure out what else to do except that it sounds like the TV may need actual maintenance. And that sounds like it may be expensive enough to warrant just buying a new TV. Any other suggestions?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?

First time its done this. make and model as listed above... Bravia KDL60W850B. We went through a hurricane recently and while we never really lost power, it flickered numerous times causing the entire TV to start up again My guess is that 's the root of this issue

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

The TV does not stay on for more than 3 seconds

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Tonight... nothing happened... just stopped working

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

Just want to know if this requires service And if so, is it better to just buy a new TV when compared to the service cost

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/24/2017
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician

Hello, I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....
Are you available to chat with me right now?

Please try this:
-unplug the tv POWER cord from the wall outlet.
-wait 3 full minutes then plug in the tv power cord and try to turn on.

REPLY back here and tell me what happens.

were you able to read what I typed in earlier to the automated response?

Yes

Have you already tried unplugging the tv POWER cord for 3 minutes.

we did that multiple times. made sure everything else was disconnected from the TV first. It came on for a few seconds in which we were able to aim the remote properly, press and hold the up arrow on the remote, and press the power button on the TV unit. We got to see the word reset at the bottom left corner of the TV screen and then the TV turned off on us again before we were able to do anything else.

Since unplugging didn't help- I'm very sorry to say, this is going to be an internal failure that requires diagnosis and parts inside the tv be replaced. If you want to DIY, let me know and I may be able to help you with that here (previous electronics experience is required on your part). Otherwise you will need to use local repair shop. In home repairs start at $250 on this model, so it is worth repairing (unless you are looking for a reason to upgrade to more features etc).

yep. Thats what I thought. No, I don't have the electronics experience for DIY. I'll have to get a repair person to come out.

Ok. Sorry I had to confirm the bad news... I hope you will submit a 5 star rating at the top of this page. If for some reason you don't feel I should get 5 stars, please do not rate and just let me know and I will follow up with you here.

Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
thank you. 5 stars it is!