TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Audio works but video is VERY dark. UN40H5203AF. Screen is…

Customer Question
Audio works but video...

Audio works but video is VERY dark

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

UN40H5203AF

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Screen is too dark to see if menu works, also very dark video from a DVD

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

TV worked perfectly on Wednesday night; problem started Thursday morning. No abnormal events in between

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

TV is 3 years old

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: TV
9/23/2017
TV Technician: Anthony_Infotech, Technician replied 9 months ago
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician

Hello
Welcome
I am sorry you are having trouble here,I am presently reviewing your question be with you very soon.

Anthony

If you press the menu button of the sets OWN remote control is the menu dark too please?or is this perfectly normal?

I've been pressing the menu button on the Samsung remote. Is there a remote button on the tv itself?

Please read again my request for info please

stay on chat. i meant is there a menu button on the TV?

You are missing my point here, you can do either but if there is a menu button on the TV remote PRESS IT is the menu as dark as the picture or is it normal and bright please?I am asking for information from you here

the menu is as dark as the picture

OK I needed to understand that, OK there are two things here that can cause this but first I need to ask have you rebooted the set?unplugged from wall-power wait 5 mins re-plug back in again?if not please do that,let me know if there is any change

i already unplugged and waited overnight before plugging it back in. did not solve the problem
no change

Its either back-light issues maybe some of the back-lights are down or failing OR the t-con board that drives the LCD display is bad,either issue is not good however the awkward bit is deciding which

I am afraid this is not good news, if it is back-light issues then that is awkward

The other angle to this is the t-con board can't be checked only replaced to eliminate it

OK. Is there a way to diagnose between back-light ?

Not without a special tool to check the back-lights, an awkward issue, we would swap out the t-con then assess if it is backlights by using this tool, the set does need a lot of disassmbly just to do that

Is it JUST dark?there is no bleeding of the darkness?

In many cases the back-lights are not replaced there are not many who do it because of the work involved

No bleeding of color

I would say its likely to be back-lights there are many videos on youtube about back-light replacement, its not easy and the panel can be damaged just by doing the work it is possible however many techs do not do it because of the work involved

Thanks

Sorry I don't have better news,if the sets own menu is as dark as the pic then its back-lights or t-con board trouble

Please I would be grateful if you could you rate the information or answer positively with the rating bar of stars at the top of the page, rating me positively enables me to receive payment from the site thank you, ***** ***** question is open for 30 days.
Anthony

TV Technician: Anthony_Infotech, Technician replied 8 months ago

Please understand I only receive a payment from the site when you rate the answer\information positively 3 to 5 stars with the rating bar of stars at the top of the page thank you, ***** ***** have any more queries about this please let me know otherwise I would appreciate you rating me positively so I can get paid

Thanks again

Anthony