TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a VIZIO TV and VIZIO Soundbar with DISH Satellite…

Hello there. I...

Hello there. I have a VIZIO TV and VIZIO Soundbar with DISH Satellite service. Everything is hooked up and the TV is on. I pressed INPUT on the remote to select "satellite" but there is no signal. What now?

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Vizio is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Brand new D32f-E1.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Can't find menu button.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

I turned on the TV, got the "V" logo, pressed INPUT on the remote, selected "Satellite". I get a box saying "No Signal -- Satellite". That's all I've done.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

I had trouble connecting the satellite cable because you have to go in a shallow distance, then straight up. VERY difficult access.

9/23/2017
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

- Is there any satellite box hooked to TV?

I got it all working after a lot of monkeying around. But I have a new question. The TV's picture does not fill the screen: black bars on top, bottom, and sides. I've pushed all the "picture" buttons and "format" buttons on my TV's remote and on the DISH remote, but I cannot get the screen to fill up on all sides.

Sounds good, picture is back on TV.

Do you see Format or Zoom or HDzoom or Wide button on Dish remote?

I see all those kinds of buttons on both the TV and the DISH remote. I've tried them all, through the menus too. Cannot get the TV picture to spread to all four sides.

OK, at this point we need to verify the TV with different video source such as DVD player etc

Please connect DVD player into HDMI input of TV and playback a disc to see if TV shows full screen picture?

Okay. Busy for a moment . . .

OK, take your time

No HDMI plug on back of DVD player. It's an old Go Video DVD/VCR combo player and it's connected to the TV via the old RCA Red/White/Yellow plugs. I put in a DVD anyway. However, nothing happens because I don't know how to change the SOURCE on this new TV.
I pressed MENU on the TV remote and chose DEVICES. All that is listed is HDMI1, HDMI2, and COMP. I have an HDMI plug on the back of the TV but there is no HDMI plug on any other device.
I would switch to a phone call, but I don't want to pay $26 bucks.
On this model TV, how do I switch the source to play the DVD and check for picture size?
I'm confused and frustrated beyond belief.

There would be Input button on TV remote to switch to different video input

As I mentioned before, the INPUT button on the TV remote yields HDMI-1, HDMI-2, and COMP. I assigned COMP to be my Go Video DVD/VHS combo player. When I selected it, it says "No Signal." It must not be connected somehow.
Okay, I finally figured it out. There were so many red/white/yellow RCA inputs, I must have chosen the wrong ones. Now a widesceen DVD is playing, but the TV screen is still not filled up. It's playing in Letterbox format, but there's black all around the picture.
Okay, I put the picture on Zoom. The picture is now filled on the left and the right, but there's black top and bottom. Also, certain labels on the right and left are now cut off.

This is odd, however, it also depends on picture format set on DVD disc.

Please reboot your Dish box as a test, unplug dish box power cord from power outlet for 5 minutes, replug back in and reply back with the result.

Nice, that means zoom function in TV is working to change the picture size so TV itself is OK.

Wow, that took a while. FYI: My DVR and Primary TV (an LG) are in another room. I went there and powered everything down and unplugged all devices. Waited 5 or so minutes. Than plugged everything back in. Took more than 10 minutes to download the DISH program guide again. FYI: the LG tv has a perfect picture. The screen is completely filled and I don't lose any labels top and bottom, left and right. But I cannot duplicate this on the new VIZIO TV. I have to display everything in Zoom to fill the picture, but then I lose labels (DISH channel labels at the top, for instance, and Channel labels at the bottom right or left). These fall off the screen. If I set the Picture to Normal, then I get the black borders on all sides. Wide is too wide and Panoramic is VERY wide and people's faces are too broad; I lose the top and bottom labels as well. I get the sense that there's nothing I can do about these things.

Not sure if this Vizio TV has its own dish box or how it is connected to main DVR box in other room.

Only one DISH DVR in the other room. No DISH DVR directly connected to the VIZIO TV.
The DVR somehow works both TVs without physical connection.

This is odd, what input source you have selected in Vizio TV to get DVR/ dish signals?

There is a way to adjust the VIZIO TV's picture position up/down and left/right by small increments. I've done that and still the labels fall off. The only way to get all labels top/bottom and left/right to show is to put the picture in Normal mode, but then the picture is too small, with black borders all around.

What input source you have selected in Vizio TV to get DVR/ dish signals since TV is not directly connected to dish DVR?

Shahid
Shahid, Technician
May seem odd, but this is the way the DVR works. It can work for two TVs in separate rooms. I guess the signals fly through the air. The DISH setup technician knows; I sure don't. There are two different DISH remotes; one for the LG TV and one for the VIZIO TV.

In that case there would be separate dish box (small one) connected to this Vizio TV so the dish remote for Vizio TV works with it.

It seems Dish Tech physical presence is needed to figure it out how this Vizio TV gets dish signals and also make picture size settings to get full screen picture. TV itself is just fine and it would be wrong settings in dish box which is sending out small picture video signals to this TV.

Thanks