TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Our Visio TV won't turn all the way off--the HDMI side is…

Hello--our Visio TV won't...

Hello--our Visio TV won't turn all the way off--the HDMI side is showing in the top right-hand corner and the remote changes channels but doesn't change the volume or mute the sound. We have tried to unplug the TV completely but it is wired thru the wall and when we unplugged the power strip from the wall the TV is still on. We think we just need someone to come and fix since we don't know how to get to the power source.

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Vizio is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

About 6 or 7 hrs old and since it's mounted to the wall we can't see the model number. We're unwilling to try to take it off the bracket ourselves

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

We can't change the inputs because the Netflix remote we use for that doesn't work either

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

We were trying to open Netflix last night

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

That's all we know

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/23/2017
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

- Will a list of local TV repair shops in area work for you to get the repair estimate?

We can find those ourselves. We thought you would refer us to an independent repair guy who would come to the house

OK, no problem.

Good luck

Nathan, Installer

I can help you with repair options if you'd like,

can you confirm the age, assuming you meant 6-7 years? And what is the approximate size (diagonal inches) of the tv?

Ha--yes 6-7 yrs not hrs--41" diagonal
This started suddenly last night when we were trying to get on Netflix. The Vizio remote doesn't work nor does the Direct TV remote. Never had the problem before

Thanks for confirming,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand especially at this age. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best, ***** ***** has had an exceptional lifespan.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the same $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

If you'd like help finding a qualified local tech, just let me know my zip code please.

My apologies for the news,

Thanks--we'll try that and move on if it doesn't work. Appreciate the info.

You're very welcome, and best of luck! I'd much rather see you be able to put your money into a new/better set than waste it on repairs that will not last long anyway.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2rRmuH2 and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Installer