TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

The smart hub logo boots up when turning on but then shuts…

Customer Question
The smart hub logo...

The smart hub logo boots up when turning on but then shuts off and repeats the same proccess

Technician's Assistant: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?

Samsung f9000af uhdtv

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

I get no other picture but the smart hub logo

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

It happened before and i updated the software and it worked but now i can't reach the menu to update

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

Thats all i have

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/22/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 11 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Could you give me the complete model number from the back of the tv?

un65f9000af
hello

My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed. With less than 2 minutes to respond, you had had then "opted out" blocking me from being able to respond back to you until now.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2013 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This set is nearing the end of its service life at this point actually.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $800 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 10 months ago

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work as an independent technician.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.