TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I own a Viera Panasonic TV TC-P50S2 and I am trying to add a…

Customer Question
I own a Viera Panasonic...
I own a Viera Panasonic TV TC-P50S2 and I am trying to add a soundbar. We have the Blueray and DVD/VCR player hooked into the tv via HDMI. Those work great on the TV, but when you just have the TV on the Soundbar doesn't work. The TV has an antenna hockup. For example coaxial out of wall into TV antenna booster with coaxial out of boost box into tv. The Soundbar is connected via a digital audio output (from TV) into digital audio input to soundbar. It makes sense to me that because no HDMI cables are going into the TV for the tv broadcast, that this may be the problem. Because when we use HDMI cables from Blueray / DVD and VCR deck everything sounds great. Help please.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/22/2017
TV Technician: Jack, Technician replied 11 months ago
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hello
My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with this.
A few questions coming up and please note that there may be delays between replies if i have to gather various info .
Also ,If you seem to lose me during the chat then refresh your browser (F5 key) and /or scroll down to the last written line at the bottom , that window seem to get stuck at times .
Please send me a hello so i know you can see my reply ?

Hello.

Hi

Give me a minute please

Note that myself I do not send those $26 phone offers that you will receive , they are automated by the website and I`m not available for it at this time but another expert might be if you`d rather do this on the phone .
Otherwise you can just decline if you don`t want it .

The channels you are receiving through antenna are digital yes , with numbers like 5.1 for example ?

I don't think so. I could be wrong. I am not home right now. I do know that for the antenna all that is used is the coaxial and hdmi on the blueray and DVD/VCR.
What if we had a splitter or converter from coaxial into hdmi (into the tv from the antenna).

Are you receiving your tv channels through an antenna ???

What is at the other end of that coax ?

The cable company or an antenna ?

Sorry it took me a long time to get back. Yes I am receiving my tv channel through my antenna. A coaxial comes from the wall in a tv antenna booster box - then out of the coaxial box (through a coaxial chord) into the tv.
Just checked the tv. The channels are 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, etc. Sorry for the confusion.

Hi again

Those digital channels being picked up by the tv come out of the optical port not in PCM 2 channels like your other devices but in dolby digital and after checking i se that there are no ways to set it to PCM for this model

That is where your problem lies , not too many sound bars can take dolby digital sound .

A digital audio converter that can take it and send it out as analog 2 channels would be fairly expensive i`m afraid and this tv does not have analog or headphones out either

What you need is an external tuner A.K.A digital tv converter box now , something like what you can see at the link below , just click on it ;
https://www.amazon.com/ViewTV-AT-300-Converter-Recording-Composite/dp/B01MF9X5V9/ref=pd_sim_504_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01MF9X5V9&pd_rd_r=MYN8T7VSW7M5MNCHMT5B&pd_rd_w=zxu4o&pd_rd_wg=d3dsX&psc=1&refRID=MYN8T7VSW7M5MNCHMT5B
There are quite a few versions of those and i`m sure your local walmart, bestbuy ,target etc. would have such a devive as well but this seems to be a good model and also records along with playing media devices like USB keys/stick

That would connect between the antenna and HDMI to your tv for a HD picture and would give you sound out of the optical port

Let me know if you have questions and if not for now then PLEASE DO TAKE THE TIME TO RATE (stars above and submit), it does not cost you anything more and does not close this post ,
Also you can come back at any time without additional charges if you have further questions or need help and it gets this independent tech. paid for his time helping you .