TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a question about storing my tv-I am going south for…

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question about storing my tv-I am going south for the season and would like to leave my tv in my summer home which will get very cold in winter. Can I let it stay here in its box until spring. Will freezing temps hurt it

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

It is an aquos I bought at walmart 2 yrs ago-I am looking for its model number but will have to get back to you -it is a smart tv

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

I have no problem with tv it works fine but don't know if I have to pack it up and take to son's home for the winter-zip is 13145 or can I leave it here

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

I don't have a problem it is the best tv i ever had-I just want to know about storing it for the winter

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

I will get the model number-give me a minuter-LC43N61006

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: TV
9/22/2017
TV Technician: Richard, Technician replied 11 months ago
Richard, Technician

Hi there and welcome

The biggest problem with freezing and cold temperatures is when you you power it on when it is so cold, you get a build up of condensation inside the TV which can cause a short. This is the biggest risk.

As you are just storing it, you avoid this risk.

The TC will be ok, but I advise you in order to stop frost reaching the TV, to wrap it in a think blanket if possible, or at the list plastic to keep the elements out.

Then when you go to use it again, allow it to sit for 12 hours to get to room temperature before using it.

I also advise to take the batteries out of the remote in the event they leak

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I researched it more and determined that the smart Tv's have liquid crystals that can freeze so the answer is no I cannot keep my Tv in my summer place wrapped or not- so I will have to have someone keep it till spring- hope this helps u in case u get the question again

As I indicated, it is not an issue when storing, TV's have commonly withstood -40F as long as when you turn it on you first let it climatize to the room temperature as I indicated.