TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I'm streaming video through amazon prime on my smart tv (I

I'm streaming video through amazon...
I'm streaming video through amazon prime on my smart tv (I just set it up today) and the sound keeps going on and off. It will work for about 10 mins, then it turns off and only comes back on for a second every few mins
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your smart tv?
Customer: samsung series 5 5205
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: So far netflix is the only other app i used, but I had no problem with that.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Its been happening for about an hour now. nothing happened before it started, this is the first time I am using the app
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
9/22/2017
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Hello
WelcomeI am sorry you are having trouble here ,please reboot the TV by unplugging the TV from wallpower wait 5 mins replug back in again, let me know if there is any change pleaseAnthony
It is still happening. It took a little longer this time

OK how are you receiving the amazon prime?is it through an app on the set?some other box type format?from a laptop?

Through the app on the tv

And netflix works OK but this app is losing the sound, was this app already with the set or have you installed it yourself?

The app was already available on the tv, as one of the samsung apps in the 'smart hub'

Have you checked with amazon prime in case there is an updated app?I believe there is an updated app you may need to install on the TV

I am having intenet conn issues so I cant check for you

Hence the delays in my replies

I already went to the software update option in the menu, and it says that the software is up to date. I don't know if there is a way to update an individual app

3.0.211.123001

Is it that version?

Clearly if the netflix is working then the bitstream is good there must be an issue with the app

It just says 'Current Version: 1027'
how would I fix the app? It says there are no software updates, so how would I update the app individually?
Pete, Electronic Engineer

I am Pete, another expert, and I'll be happy to assist you with this.

Different apps will work better at slower internet connection speeds.

Can you please go to www.speedtest.net in a browser on your TV and let me know the results of the speed test there?

I don't really understand what I'm supposed to be looking at. Is it the 'PING' number? that says 48 ms. The other numbers say 'UPLOAD' 10.0 mbps and DOWNLOAD 6.68 mbps

Just the download speed please.

I can see that you have reported it is 6.68Mbps - this should be sufficient for the Amazon Prime app to work.

Is the audio working ok now?

Do you find that it works better at different times of the day?

It is still not working, and I don't know if it works better during different times of the day, this is the first time I'm ever using the TV. I'm not using any other devices on the network (obviously I'm on my computer now, but I wasn't when this started) and no one else has access to the network, so there shouldn't be any competing devices slowing it down or anything. And the picture streams fine, the sound just turns off and then flicks back on occasionally for only a second or two

Are you using the TV's built-in speakers, or do you have any external sound equipment connected to the TV?

Built in speakers

Ok, so the problem must be within the TV.

Have you tried a factory reset?

I went back through the starting set-up steps

Please try again, following these steps:

Step 1: Power On the TV, and then press the Menu button on the TV remote control. The Main Menu will appear.

Step 2: Select Support and then press Enter.

Step 3: Select Self Diagnosis and then press Enter on your remote control. The Main Menu will disappear and the Self Diagnosis Menu will open.

Step 4: Navigate through the options and select Reset, and then press Enter on your remote control.

Step 5: The TV will ask for a security PIN, enter the number using the TV remote, if you have not changed the PIN the default code will be 0000.

Step 6: The Factory reset screen will appear displaying a warning message. Select Yes using the left or right arrow buttons on the remote, and then press Enter.

Step 7: During the Factory Reset, the TV may turn off and on several times and will display the Setup screen.

--------------------
Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question page to finish; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back after rating me if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------

If Amazon Prime audio still doesn't work properly after a factory reset, try using it at a different location using a different internet connection to rule out any interference or latency issues.

Seriously? I'm supposed to carry my TV to a different house and use their internet connection?

That's a further troubleshooting step that you could try.
Or you could return the TV or use a different TV.
The TV appears to not be working as it should.
Please don't shoot the messenger!
Pete.

Pete, Electronic Engineer
Pete, Electronic Engineer