TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a LC-50UB30U and the picture is out - upon pressing…

I have a LC-50UB30U...

I have a LC-50UB30U and the picture is out - upon pressing the power you can see the red sharp logo - then the screen goes black

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Sharp is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Feb 2016

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

No menu - yes on all inputs

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

A couple of days ago

9/22/2017
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hello
My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with this.
A few questions coming up and please note that there may be delays between replies if i have to gather various info .
Also ,If you seem to lose me during the chat then refresh your browser (F5 key) and /or scroll down to the last written line at the bottom , that window seem to get stuck at times .
Please send me a hello so i know you can see my reply ?

Voltages on power board
Dimming 2 2.4v
Dimming 1 2.4v
Backlight on/off 3.3v
Remote on/off 4.7v
+12v 12v
+12v 12v
+5v 5v
+5v 5v
+5v 5v

I don`t need voltages , i`m sure your power board is fine

Just a few questions

Do you still have sound ?

If you turn the tv off and on again repeatedly do you always get the sharp logo before the screen turns off ?

i have soundyou mean like turn it on and off with a couple of seconds between button pushes?

Never mind but i meant does it boot the same way indefinitely , , logo then off ?

I know what this is , please give me a minute to type this down

By the look of it I`m afraid that what your tv has is another case of defective LED strips and this is very common with LED backlit tv`s now
Those LED`s are supposed to last a zillion hours but they do not , they are failing all over the place and not only in LG

Here is a link to give you an idea what is needed ;

http://www.shopjimmy.com/sharp-ic-a-vzaa50d552-replacement-led-replacement-strips-8-lc-50ub30u.htm

There is also a video on that page that shows you how its done so before you order anything watch it

Mind you they don`t have it in stock at this time , these guys can`t keep up with the demand but if you were to look into this yourself then you could sign up there to be notified when back in stock but i must say that this is not an easy job to do and you will have to be comfortable working with electronic circuits , here is a video that shows you how its done , not your model but the same job ;

https://youtu.be/qGk6Nx82SCA

If that is not your cup of tea so to speak then to have this repaired at home could cost you around $250 parts included and perhaps $50 less if you take it to the shop yourself .

If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the link below and enter your zip code ;
www.tvrepairpros.com
This will give you a list of NESDA member repair shops in your area.
This list may be limited though and you may find more by simply using the yellow pages or simply google "tv repairs" and the name of your town .
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around .

Let me know if you have questions and if not for now then PLEASE DO TAKE THE TIME TO RATE (stars above and submit), it does not cost you anything more and does not close this post ,
Also you can come back at any time without additional charges if you have further questions or need help and it gets this independent tech. paid for his time helping you .

if they are bad would i expect to see the menu if put a flashlight to it or not at all

Yes normally you should be able to see it

The dead give away here is the logo coming up then the screen shutting down

There are one or more defective led and when the driver board senses it then it shuts the whole thing down , this is very common now

ok i see - do you know what the voltage on the Vout 1 should be for them

I don`t have the specs or service manual for that board , suffice to say that it is not the problem

Jack
Jack, Technician
ok thanks

Thank you