TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My screen has suddenly darkened. It kind of dims, brightens…

My screen has suddenly...

My screen has suddenly darkened. It kind of dims, brightens slightly and goes very dark again.

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

Hmm, have to look but its about 2 years old. It is a smart TV. be right back-not in same room.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Menu comes up but hard to see because it is so dark. would 32L595 be right?

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Just in last hour. Not sure if anything happened;just looked up and it had weirded out.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

?

Technician's Assistant: What confuses you?

Can't think of anything, You?

9/22/2017
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or backlight component, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $200 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Let's try this again. Thank you, ***** ***** try this. I am disappointed considering I have have a 5 yr old "off" brand I paid $99 for and the 2 yr old LG is screwing up. �� I'll let you know how it works out.

You're welcome, and best of luck!

This is not typical of LG, they are actually one of the best brands on the market. It is most likely damage from a power surge or similar issue. Typically the LGs have an expected service life of about 5 years, and the off brand ones are the ones you usually get 2 years or so out of.

Right? It's been one of those weeks-And still 2 more days to go! Again, thank you.

My pleasure!

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2rRmuH2 and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Installer