TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have the number 5 poping up on my Samsung smart tv. It…

I have the number...

I have the number 5 poping up on my Samsung smart tv. It doesnt come off

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your smart tv?

I have a Samsung model number UN43MU6300F

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Its inly popping up when my cable is on, on my smart features it doesnt show

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

I just got cable today so first time i see it. Cable guy didnt know why it popped up

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?

I tried the menu of settings but cant seem to see why it would pop up

9/22/2017
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hello
My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with this.
A few questions coming up and please note that there may be delays between replies if i have to gather various info .
Also ,If you seem to lose me during the chat then refresh your browser (F5 key) and /or scroll down to the last written line at the bottom , that window seem to get stuck at times .
Please send me a hello so i know you can see my reply ?

Hello

Hi

You said you just got cable , is there a cable box and cable remote with that ?

i have a receiver that was added to stream cable and i have the remote for that receiver

O.k then leave the tv on and turn off the cable box , does that 5 go away ?

O.k then that's not cable but satellite

what is the last picture , is it with he receiver off ?

i turned off the receiver but the 5 is still there

O.k then give me a minute please

Ok it only goes away when i use the applications on the tv such as netflix and such.

Is this a new tv as well ?

i got it a few weeks ago.

O.k and this has been there ever since you got it ?

No this popped up today after the installation of the receiver

How where you getting your tv channels prior to this ?

I had non, so just used internet for netflix and hulu.
But now even if i turn off the receiver its still popping up. Which is weird

Lets try something a little more stringent

I would assume the receiver is connected to the tv with a HDMI cable , leave the tv on and pull that cable off either at the tv or receiver and see if it is still there ?

I took the HDMI off and still there

O.k then we know its not the receiver

Just for a test can you try to plug into say HDMI 2 and set the tv there ?

Moved it to HDMI 2 and still there ��

Sorry but I can`t find nothing on that and this is rather odd

Only close reference would be about the favorites which are numbered 1 to 5 but then again I think it has to do with the channels it receives itself so that would be redundant here

Call Samsung customer support at 1-800-SAMSUNG and see what they have to say on that ?

Let me know , in the mean time I will look a few things on this including a full reset perhaps

Ok i will call

Another way of doing this would be to use the TV's remote management option , they would remotely get into your tv

Samsung said it might be the receiver

LOL I can hardly see how it would do that if it is not plugged into the tv !!??

Want to try a system reset ?

That should not touch your hub setting but I cannot guarantee so at worse you would have to redo your internet connect

I told them the HDMI cable was the only thing connecting them and they said since the receiver is not samsung they couldnt see what it would be

I mean even with the hdmi cable pulled off you could see that , is that correct ?

I had to step out of my home, how can i try that later?
even with it off it was still there

O.k then there is no way that receiver is the culprit then

Here is how to reset your tv , let me type this down , I`ll be just a minute

Press the HOME button on the TV's remote and select the SETTINGS ((gear icon) , open that and select SUPPORT , open that and select SELF DIAGNOSIS , open that and select RESET then enter 0000 when asked for the pin and follow the prompts

Settings >>>Support>>> Self Diagnosis >>> Reset >>> 0000

I believe in this model you will have a choice of full reset including the hub or just system reset leave the hub alone if you can just reset the system

Ok i will try when i get home

You were not home earlier ?

Or when you come back you mean ?

i was i had to step out

O.k then let me know what that does and if this is not working then something wrong with this tv , you may have to call Samsung again to get their service info

Usually for a tv this size they will send you a service tech. or at least give you info on their closest ASC

If that answers your questions for now then PLEASE DO TAKE THE TIME TO RATE (stars above and submit), it does not cost you anything more and does not close this post ,
Also you can come back at any time without additional charges if you have further questions or need help and it gets this independent tech. paid for his time helping you .

The reset you mentioned worked! Its gone!!

Fantastic

Glad to hear that and If that answers your question PLEASE DO TAKE THE TIME TO RATE by clicking on the star icons at the top of your page, then click on Submit , it doesn`t cost you anything more and I get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time (no additional charges) if you have questions or need further help.

Jack
Jack, Technician
Thank you for all your help!

Thank you