Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

I have a smart TV which I purchased about two years ago. I

I have a smart TV which I purchased about two years ago. I have sound but no picture. What might the problem be?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your smart tv?
Customer: I'm not sure. If I get the model number would that be helpful?
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: No, I have absolutely no video so I can't see the menu and yes the same problem is on all sources.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It just started today. The TV was on and the screen just went black.
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.

Hello, I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....
Are you available to chat with me right now?

Are you able to get the model number off the back of the tv?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Give me a minute to get it.

ok

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The model number id LE55A6R9A

Please try this:
-unplug the tv POWER cord from the wall outlet.
-wait 3 full minutes then plug in the tv power cord and try to turn on preferably with the button on the tv not remotes.

REPLY back here and tell me what happens.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I unplugged it from the wall and waited the full three minutes and when I plugged it back in and turned it on manually and still no picture.

Since unplugging didn't help- I'm very sorry to say, this is going to be an internal failure that requires diagnosis and parts inside the tv be replaced. If you want to DIY, let me know and I may be able to help you with that here (previous electronics experience is required on your part). Otherwise you will need to use local repair shop. In home repairs start at $250 on this model so it is worth repairing.

I know this is bad news and very upsetting but please understand I am here to provide an honest answer. I hope you will submit a 5 star rating at the top of this page and not base the rating on the fact that your tv needs parts or services outside of our control. If for some reason you don't feel I should get 5 stars, please do not rate and just let me know and I will follow up with you here.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would like to try to repair it myself. If you could tell me what part(s) to purchase, I'm relatively sure I can replace them.

I'm afraid it's not that simple. Tests inside the tv have to be performed. Then based on the results of the tests we can recommend a part. Before we continue- Do you have previous electronics repair experience? If so, please describe in detail....

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No formal training - self taught. I like to tinker with thing and I am usually successful.

That's nice. Can you be more specific, like:

-Do you own a DMM?

-Have you tested live voltages on circuit boards?

-Have you soldered components onto boards?