Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

When we first turn on our Samsung flat screen tv the right

When we first turn on our Samsung flat screen tv the right half of the screen has a dark shadow that flickers. After a few minutes this goes away and the tv acts normally.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: It is model # LN46A550P3FXZA. It started doing this in the past few weeks.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The menu works and this happens no matter if we are watching a DVD or cable.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: This has been happening for a few weeks. I can't recall anything that happened before this started.
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.

Hello, I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....
Are you available to chat with me right now?

During that first few minutes while the screen is dark, if you bring up the TV MENU using the original samsung tv remote, does the menu show up normal or is that menu also affected by the problem?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
The menu has the shadow on it too.

Have you tried anything like reset or...

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
No

You can try unplugging the tv POWER cord for 3 full minutes. If unplugging doesn't help- I'm very sorry to say, this is going to be an internal failure that requires diagnosis and parts inside the tv be replaced. If you want to DIY, let me know and I may be able to help you with that here (previous electronics experience is required on your part). Otherwise using a local repair shop will end up costing more than a new 46" tv.

I know this is bad news and very upsetting but please understand I am here to provide an honest answer. I hope you will submit a 5 star rating at the top of this page and not base the rating on the fact that your tv needs parts or services outside of our control. If for some reason you don't feel I should get 5 stars, please do not rate and just let me know and I will follow up with you here.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Ok. Thank you.