TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

No picture but have audio. have turned everything off and…

Customer Question
No picture but have...

No picture but have audio. have turned everything off and then on with no change

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

About 4 years old 47 inch

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

No menu. same problrm

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Just happened was watching a show and it went black

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/21/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 11 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Could you please tell me the complete model number of the tv (found on a sticker on the back of the tv)?

47LN5400

Thank you for confirming,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, most likely a faulty power supply or backlight component, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2013 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising; the tv is about at the end of its designed service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $400 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

i'll try what you suggested. I had a feeling it was getting close to getting a newer model thank you!

You're very welcome, and best of luck to you!

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2rRmuH2 and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,