TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I want to "plug in" a headset so that I can hear the TV from…

Customer Question
I want to "plug...

I want to "plug in" a headset so that I can hear the TV from about 40 feet away. Where is the "audio out" port for headsets? I am very hard of hearing. Don

Technician's Assistant: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?

Model E320VT - and I'm guessing that it is about 3 years old.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

What is the TV menu?

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

It is a new issue. I want to know where to plug in to the base unit, which then transmits to the earphones.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: TV
9/21/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 9 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

The short answer is that you can't use headphones with the tv directly. This is actually the case for all modern tvs. It can be done, but some additional equipment is required.

The reason for this is that all modern tv's are digital, and because of copyrights and digital rights management/copy protection, so tv's cannot have any analog outputs, which is what a headphone jack would be.

The way around this is to use the Digital Audio Out port on the back of the tv. This is a square type port with a little flap/door over it and a red light inside. You connect a fiber optical cable to it. You'll need to purchase a digital to analog converter: http://amzn.to/1VhPiQx . This will convert the optical connection to an analog stereo connection (red/white rca ports). To that, you can then connect rca cables to the base unit for a wireless headphone transmitter, or if needed use a stereo to minijack adapter to plug in a standard headphone jack.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work as an independent technician.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.